Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:02 PM

Re: Holiday Hunger!

Originally Posted by big ben ->
An interesting topic. But look into the homes of some of these impoverished people.
What do you see. A huge televisione set, Play stations and video games, A packet of fags and beer cans on the table. Bodies covered in tattoos. If they can afford these then they can afford to feed their children.
There are genuine poverty stricken people out there I admit but the fore mentioned are giving them all a bad name and making even the genuine appear to be scroungers.
When my husband had a stroke you would have seen we had a car TV all the mid cons but we bought them when working not when on benefits. If we had been out of work longer I predict we would have lost most of it though. But luckily parents helped us and loans and credit cards.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:02 PM

re Single Dad .
What has happened to the mother of his children ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
An interesting topic. But look into the homes of some of these impoverished people.
What do you see. A huge televisione set, Play stations and video games, A packet of fags and beer cans on the table. Bodies covered in tattoos. If they can afford these then they can afford to feed their children.
There are genuine poverty stricken people out there I admit but the fore mentioned are giving them all a bad name and making even the genuine appear to be scroungers.
I dont know Ben as I have never been inside the home of someone who uses food banks.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
re Single Dad .
What has happened to the mother of his children ?
Died at 27 very sad for him and the kids. Ovarian cancer they found it when she was 7 months pregnant with youngest.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I dont know Ben as I have never been inside the home of someone who uses food banks.
You have no need to Muddy, spot the satellite dish on the wall outside....
You could argue that things like a car and a TV etc might have been items acquired before money became tight, but weekly or monthly subscriptions to Sky or mobile phone companies should be discontinued immediately, these subscriptions, among others, eat into peoples income on a monthly basis.
An accountant might be more use than a food bank....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Died at 27 very sad for him and the kids. Ovarian cancer they found it when she was 7 months pregnant with youngest.
For every worthy cause like him Julie, there are fifty unworthy ones...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
For every worthy cause like him Julie, there are fifty unworthy ones...
Hi

Yes, I agree.

It should not stop us helping those who are genuinely in need.

The pillocks know how to to work the system, the most vulnerable do not.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-08-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You have no need to Muddy, spot the satellite dish on the wall outside....
You could argue that things like a car and a TV etc might have been items acquired before money became tight, but weekly or monthly subscriptions to Sky or mobile phone companies should be discontinued immediately, these subscriptions, among others, eat into peoples income on a monthly basis.
An accountant might be more use than a food bank....
Satellite dish doesn't mean anything they might like us have one and use Freesat. It's no different to having a TV aerial and using Freeview. Cheaper and easier to install if you don't have access to a roof.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 06:44 PM

I find that hard to believe Tara that people are too poor to feed their kids. I think it is more that they have never learned to cook properly and have been totally dependent on processed foods which we all know are exhorbitant prices compared to freshly made meals.

There are so many nutritional meals parents can make for their children with cheap ingredients. Home-made soups, Jacket potatoes, pasta dishes, vegetable dishes, several mince dishes. All followed with fresh fruit for a dessert. They can even go into the supermarkets at the end of the day and get ingredients even cheaper. I could get all that very cheap if I shopped around for the best bargains. Surely they must have an open market there one day a week? There really is no excuse for a single child to go hungry. Even a box of Porridge and a pint of milk doesn't cost much for breakfast, followed by a nutritional boiled egg with toast.

When times were a bit hard for mum, she would pop to the butcher and buy a load of bacon bones for pennies, boil them up with a cabbage and potatoes in their jackets and we kids would love to sit down and rip all that lovely lean meat that had been left on the bones by the butcher. a knob of Kerrygold on the potatoes and cabbage to melt nicely as we gnawed at the bones and we loved it.
We always managed to have some tinned peaches or a made jelly with evaporated milk for dessert too.

That's why I find it hard to fathom how anyone can ever say they are too poor??

I sometimes wonder if many are claiming they are too poor to feed the children because perhaps their own luxuries must be bought first. Cigarettes? Beer? who knows?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
i find that hard to believe tara that people are too poor to feed their kids. I think it is more that they have never learned to cook properly and have been totally dependent on processed foods which we all know are exhorbitant prices compared to freshly made meals.

There are so many nutritional meals parents can make for their children with cheap ingredients. Home-made soups, jacket potatoes, pasta dishes, vegetable dishes, several mince dishes. All followed with fresh fruit for a dessert. They can even go into the supermarkets at the end of the day and get ingredients even cheaper. I could get all that very cheap if i shopped around for the best bargains. Surely they must have an open market there one day a week? There really is no excuse for a single child to go hungry. Even a box of porridge and a pint of milk doesn't cost much for breakfast, followed by a nutritional boiled egg with toast.

When times were a bit hard for mum, she would pop to the butcher and buy a load of bacon bones for pennies, boil them up with a cabbage and potatoes in their jackets and we kids would love to sit down and rip all that lovely lean meat that had been left on the bones by the butcher. A knob of kerrygold on the potatoes and cabbage to melt nicely as we gnawed at the bones and we loved it.
We always managed to have some tinned peaches or a made jelly with evaporated milk for dessert too.

That's why i find it hard to fathom how anyone can ever say they are too poor??

I sometimes wonder if many are claiming they are too poor to feed the children because perhaps their own luxuries must be bought first. Cigarettes? Beer? Who knows?

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top