Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 07:13 PM

Re: Holiday Hunger!

I don't think many of you have tried to live on benefits these days or even low wages high rents. When someone can either get to work or buy food or pay rent or buy food or if they have less than a pound a week to live on these days aren't the easy to get benefit days or days when you could get several jobs easily.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 07:50 PM

I think there may be a few folk on here who know what it is to be poor either from parents or their own situations .

My son was 14 and my daughter 11. I was on benefits for the first time in my life . I was working and had to go and sign at the benefits office each Tuesday and declare my earnings as a social services home help when done I received a top up as working wage was low .

Each week I put into a tin . Money for electric , gas, food, mortgage etc etc . No treats or luxuries whatsoever. Mortgage and Bills and food were a must .

I cooked soups , mince meals , cauliflower cheese , potatoes , anything cheap and cheerful and the kids were never hungry . I had no help whatsoever as had no family . Eventually months on I managed to get a second job and came off benefits.

I came from a poor family , I've mentioned before mum had 9 mouths to feed , no social security in those days , we never went hungry .

My daughter is a teacher for infants and tells me some little ones come to school having no breakfast . School now does a breakfast club
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think many of you have tried to live on benefits these days or even low wages high rents. When someone can either get to work or buy food or pay rent or buy food or if they have less than a pound a week to live on these days aren't the easy to get benefit days or days when you could get several jobs easily.
Child allowance should not be used to pay the rent .
It should be used for the children .
If you are poor and can't afford the rent you can get housing benefit .
No child need go hungry and I hope that they do not.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I think there may be a few folk on here who know what it is to be poor either from parents or their own situations .

My son was 14 and my daughter 11. I was on benefits for the first time in my life . I was working and had to go and sign at the benefits office each Tuesday and declare my earnings as a social services home help when done I received a top up as working wage was low .

Each week I put into a tin . Money for electric , gas, food, mortgage etc etc . No treats or luxuries whatsoever. Mortgage and Bills and food were a must .

I cooked soups , mince meals , cauliflower cheese , potatoes , anything cheap and cheerful and the kids were never hungry . I had no help whatsoever as had no family . Eventually months on I managed to get a second job and came off benefits.

I came from a poor family , I've mentioned before mum had 9 mouths to feed , no social security in those days , we never went hungry .

My daughter is a teacher for infants and tells me some little ones come to school having no breakfast . School now does a breakfast club
Excellent post!

There is plenty of work out there for those willing to drag their idle bodies out of bed and go to it instead of leeching of the state. There is absolutely no need for children to be hungry or short of clothes either. Too many people want something for nothing.

My family had money when I was small child - we had a nanny until we went to school - then a cook/housekeeper.

But we have known poverty too - my father's business failed and he went bankrupt. We lost everything - but none of us starved. We lived on the cheapest cuts of meat, offal, and stuff no-one else wanted. Bought vegs from the market when they reduced their prices just before they packed up for the day. Clothes were mended, patched and darned. Mother - who had never done a hands turn in her life - found work in as cinema as an usherette. We all mucked in and helped with chores. The brother did a paper round - and handed over his earnings.

People did not expect to be spoonfed by the state - they had backbones and pride.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 08:42 PM

shopshiregirl.

You are so right many of today's parents can not or won't cook.
In the days of depression no children went hungry.
There was alwaye bread and milk or bread and dripping or jam
It seems the more Cookery programmes on TV, the less people cook.
They just prefer to watch.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Satellite dish doesn't mean anything they might like us have one and use Freesat. It's no different to having a TV aerial and using Freeview. Cheaper and easier to install if you don't have access to a roof.
Perhaps not Julie, but the 52 inch TV screen playing away first thing in the morning was a bit over the top, when as a postman I was delivering giro's to the house and finding spoons and syringes all over the gardens....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
It is shocking that in the 21st century some children here in the UK are going hungry during the school holidays as free school meals aren't available.

Our vicar daughter's church provide packed lunches for these children on week days during the holidays. My husband and I provide a donation each holiday to assist with this project. We are so very fortunate we were able to provide for our children adequately so they never went hungry.

Are there any holiday hunger projects in the areas where you live?
Not holiday hunger but there is a breakfast program in the local council hall where children can go to get a good breakfast before school. Surveys found that some children were not going to school well fed for various reasons (single parents, on shift work etc) so this was set up.

https://www.foodbank.org.au/homepage...?state=nsw-act

BTW at the council run one pensioners get a feed too.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 07:16 AM

People on benefits or low wages are always given enough money to feed their families. This is the Uk for goodness sake!!

I would imagine it's how the parents use the money that leaves their children hungry.

They should be issued with food vouchers instead of money - to be spent on food and nothing else. That would stop the need for charity food parcels.

Peole who help the poor hungry children are to be commended but it shouldn't be necessary.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
people on benefits or low wages are always given enough money to feed their families. This is the uk for goodness sake!!

I would imagine it's how the parents use the money that leaves their children hungry.

They should be issued with food vouchers instead of money - to be spent on food and nothing else. That would stop the need for charity food parcels.

Peole who help the poor hungry children are to be commended but it shouldn't be necessary.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
People on benefits or low wages are always given enough money to feed their families. This is the Uk for goodness sake!!

Vouchers were tried back in the 70/80s, Carol, to cover the costs of baby milk, nappies, and vitamins - not sure if they are still being used. People used to sell them for money to buy cigarettes/drugs/booze then go crying to Social Services because they could not feed their children!

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top