Join for free
AnneS
Morayshire, Scotland
AnneS is female  AnneS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Scammers

Hello everyone. This morning I had a phone call from someone who said they were from British Gas and that my gas boiler was due a service. It was serviced earlier this year so the man apologised and quickly hung up. I googled British Gas and got the phone number for their home service department. They have no record of me being contacted by them. The number of the person who called me is 0333 2029 500 and I believe this to be the scam phone number. I am fed up of these scammers who want to fix my computer etc - please be careful out there.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Re: Scammers

I agree, AnneS.

If these people are not knocking on our doors, they are on the phone, or on our computers, or sending mail.

They are all a ruddy nuisance and it only takes one second of not thinking quick enough, and they'll catch us out.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 02:28 PM

I think the sad thing is too that we are so concerned not to be caught out by these people that we are suspicious of everyone, even if they turn out to be genuine.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnneS ->
Hello everyone. This morning I had a phone call from someone who said they were from British Gas and that my gas boiler was due a service. It was serviced earlier this year so the man apologised and quickly hung up. I googled British Gas and got the phone number for their home service department. They have no record of me being contacted by them. The number of the person who called me is 0333 2029 500 and I believe this to be the scam phone number. I am fed up of these scammers who want to fix my computer etc - please be careful out there.
Hi Annie, thanks for that advice. Whenever I get a scam call such as that, I usually go online and go to "Who called me". it has a section to put the phone number in and 9 times out of 10 they can either give you the name or the type of business that called you. Actually, with me, if the number showing on my phone does not contain my local code number, I always ignore it.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 04:11 PM

I have a boiler contract with British Gas, and they have, never, ever phoned me about my boiler service. In fact, it's been me that contacts them,whenever I feel it's that time. Funnily enough, I had an e-mail from them recently, giving me various slots to book my service, so I've chosen a date in October.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I think the sad thing is too that we are so concerned not to be caught out by these people that we are suspicious of everyone, even if they turn out to be genuine.
Far better to be very cautious than caught out. I never trust anyone unless I have good reason to do so. Having been taken in by someone in the past to the tune of £1000, I would be a fool to do otherwise.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Google the number that called you. They are good at knowing scammers numbers. I do it often, if it's a scammers number I can then block it on my phone.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Far better to be very cautious than caught out. I never trust anyone unless I have good reason to do so. Having been taken in by someone in the past to the tune of £1000, I would be a fool to do otherwise.
Sorry to hear you have been caught by a scammer, it just shows how careful we need to be these days.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Usually I always reckon that if someone contacted me, or I didn't instigate whatever it was, or there's 'something for nothing', or it's anyone wanting information from me or about me then it's 99.9% certain it's a scam. If I ever get that wrong then whoever it was will call me back again.

Scammers seldom call back, they just put the phone down on me when I've gone along with their tale that my Windows PC running Microsoft needs sorting out and then, the most satisfying comment for me to make – "I have all Apple Macintosh devices so which one is it that has a problem?"

No answer comes the stern reply!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnneS ->
I had a call too and I don't have a boiler so I told them where to go in no uncertain terms ....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top