Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 11:43 PM

Re: Live from Cape Fear,North Carolina

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Cape Fear is the name of the place../waters

More so, why is it called Frying Pan Tower ?
Yes & that?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 11:48 PM

The winds are not very strong yet.. well, not like the 200mph they have just experienced in the Bahama's/. That's a terrible tragedy !

Issued 13 mins ago:

The estimated time of when the center of the storm will be at that location is in about 5 hours and 41 minutes from now (Thursday, September 5 at 11:18PM EDT). (from Viewer ColoMontainGirl (CMG)

As of 5:30 local time, sustained winds at 44.7 knots (51mph) and gusting to 62.2 knots (72mph).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 06:03 AM

Apparently you can stay at Frying Pan Tower!!

https://www.fptower.com/faq.html

It takes it's name from the Frying Pan Shoals.

Why do they call it Frying Pan Shoals?
Looking at the charts, it's pretty clear how the shoals got their name; they're shaped like a long-handled frying pan. Formed by silt from the Cape Fear River, the shoals form an underwater extension of the Cape Fear River.
God bless Wiki!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Wow ! Thanks ST. I knew there are people on FPT, but had no idea it's holiday accommodation . Don't think I'd fancy it in these conditions.

I'm waiting to see if Steve is still flying at daybreak. Although no picture through the night, the wind has sounded fierce .

I've been trying to find some update on Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Florida, but can't find anything atm.. They were well prepared, but it all depends on the force of nature at the end of the day.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

06-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Screenshot from early evening yesterday
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Had a look & the flag is still flying. Looks as if the wind changed direction too.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 03:15 PM

That's a great share, PD and remarkable experiences, Ray. I actually came on to say that the animals tend to do fairly well. It's tough for marine birds though.

Cape Fear got it's name from a crew that was concerned that the ship would run aground on the shoals when the ship sailed too far into a bay behind the cape headland.

North Carolina has some remarkable waterways and the way that it juts out into the Atlantic, most people are storm-seasoned and have built their homes to withstand fairly strong hurricanes. They are lucky that they are just being grazed.

I'm off to North Carolina tomorrow for my daughter's appointments on Monday. I seems that am ever the bright one driving into the storm . We are taking an extra day to deliver pet supplies to an inland shelter that is housing animals through the storm.

I love web cams!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

06-09-2019, 09:10 PM

Thanks for that Surfermom.

Good luck with your travels tomorrow. Take care and I hope all is well.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top