Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Autumn bulb planting.

Will you be planting any this year?

I definitely will....I love to see them popping up ,round about January....I can't believe how quickly Autumn has come round,for those of us who live in the UK,

Next it will be Christmas!..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Re: Autumn bulb planting.

I have already planted a few crocus but the flowers don't last long so I have put in lots of Violas and Bellis, the little pink daisies
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 09:12 AM

Hi Meg,..I looked up Bellis,as I wasn't quite sure which type they were,..

They really are a pretty show,but I never knew they survived through winter?

If I bought some can I plant them now?....I am going to fill all of my planters with bulbs this year,.....it gives you something to look forward to,after all of those cold,dark months.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Yep,Alliums to be put in,want a bit of rain to really soften the ground,its still relatively hard where I want to put them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have already planted a few crocus but the flowers don't last long so I have put in lots of Violas and Bellis, the little pink daisies

I like Bellis too, Meg, but always have mould problems with the foliage, so have given up.
I like the Delosperma's now, they're pretty and hardy as well.

https://hayloft.co.uk/searchresults....&treecode=NULL
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Most of my bulbs are in pots so they'll soon be getting a change of compost and brought out into the sunshine. I won't be planting any new ones this year, I already have too many.

I've got 72 young Pansies waiting to be planted but last year's winter flowering pansies are still in bloom and I hate chucking out plants while they're still putting on a show.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Most of my bulbs are in pots so they'll soon be getting a change of compost and brought out into the sunshine. I won't be planting any new ones this year, I already have too many.

I've got 72 young Pansies waiting to be planted but last year's winter flowering pansies are still in bloom and I hate chucking out plants while they're still putting on a show.

That's what I'm going to do this year too, Nicol.
I shall tip the pots out, change the compost and sort through the bulbs. That'll do me fine.

Just got the last few Viola's to put in, then I will start pulling the Gazania's up to make room for the Wallflowers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hi Meg,..I looked up Bellis,as I wasn't quite sure which type they were,..

They really are a pretty show,but I never knew they survived through winter?

If I bought some can I plant them now?....I am going to fill all of my planters with bulbs this year,.....it gives you something to look forward to,after all of those cold,dark months.
Hi Pauline you can plant Bellis now (they remind me of pompoms ) and they will flower through the winter and into spring .

They do well in tubs and do like to be in the sun what little we have in the winter. It is importent to keep up with dead heading to maintain flowering,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

08-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I like Bellis too, Meg, but always have mould problems with the foliage, so have given up.
I like the Delosperma's now, they're pretty and hardy as well.

https://hayloft.co.uk/searchresults....&treecode=NULL
Hi Mups I have never had a problem with mold.
I haven't had any Bellis for a few years now having planted yellow Wallflowers and Pansies instead but they didn't do well last year.
The council planted Bellis on a traffic island in town and they had a magnificent display for months which has rather prompted me to return to them.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

08-09-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->

Hi Nicol....when I grew bulbs in pots,I thought they bloomed every year..I was surprised to discover,that they don't,..well mine didn't,..all that came up were green tulip leaves,without the flowers?..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top