Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Re: Fireworks - love them or loathe them?

Hi

I love them, great fun.

I have also had dogs, never had an issue with them.

By all means restrict them to 3 days around Bonfire night and two hours on New Years Eve.

Anything outside that should have a special license.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:27 PM

I’m all for private displays only, fireworks in the wrong hands can do a lot of damage and cause a lot of distress to both people and animals.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 12:56 PM

I do not like any form of fireworks since some idiot threw a military grade thunderflash that landed so close to me I still have reduced hearing in my left ear many years after. I have an aid that side to balance my hearing up, but the incident should not have happened in the first place
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I do not like any form of fireworks since some idiot threw a military grade thunderflash that landed so close to me I still have reduced hearing in my left ear many years after. I have an aid that side to balance my hearing up, but the incident should not have happened in the first place
That is where the problem is LongDriver! There are always idiots who think it is funny to try and scare people with them, but this means that many are left with physical damage & sometimes a life long fear of fireworks!

In the wrong hands they can be dangerous so I applaud the idea of them only being sold to to 0rganized firework displays, where police & ambulance remain in attendance till the display ends.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That is where the problem is LongDriver! There are always idiots who think it is funny to try and scare people with them, but this means that many are left with physical damage & sometimes a life long fear of fireworks!

In the wrong hands they can be dangerous so I applaud the idea of them only being sold to to 0rganized firework displays, where police & ambulance remain in attendance till the display ends.
Hi

I disagree Twink.

The littlies love them.

I have them when they have a birthday, sparklers, others with bright colours but no noisy ones.

I am intelligent enough to not cause noise or a risk to others.

I totally agree that some of the ones on general sale should be banned.

I do not do rockets or anything which can go out of garden.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I disagree Twink.

The littlies love them.

I have them when they have a birthday, sparklers, others with bright colours but no noisy ones.

The littlies would enjoy them more at a display where they are more exciting, and they would be safer!
I have known children who have been burned by them & carry the scars for the rest of their lives......and some of them weren't caused by stupidity, they were accidents that nobody could imagine would happen.
All to often there is alcohol at these home firework displays too!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 02:11 PM

I still remember having indoor fireworks as a kid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IFL-25-Indo...27411155&psc=1
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I disagree Twink.

The littlies love them.

But fireworks are noisy, Swimmy, and smelly, and they scare pets/wildlife. If it were just bonfire night or Diwali - events that have definite dates on the calendar it wouldn't be so bad. But now people set them off any old time our pets have no chance.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 03:54 PM

They bore me to be honest. I just can't get excited about coloured lights making a noise in the sky.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
But fireworks are noisy, Swimmy, and smelly, and they scare pets/wildlife. If it were just bonfire night or Diwali - events that have definite dates on the calendar it wouldn't be so bad. But now people set them off any old time our pets have no chance.

I agree about that Tabby, and every year on here we have the same debate, but we haven't the power to change anything.

There is always a huge public display here in the park just behind me.
It has been held for many years and seems well enough organised, but some of the bangs rattle yer bones, they really do.
The next morning my car is always covered in horrid grey dust and ash as well.

I am glad you mentioned wildlife, because a lot of people only think of their pets, but there is more to it.
I have a lot of big trees around me, and every year I feel for the wild birds who have gone up to roose for the night. Then suddenly all hell let's loose.
I have stood outside and listened to them flapping and fluttering about.
Instinct tells them to fly away, but they can't in the dark. Those that do, probably spend the night on the floor as they can't see their way back up to the higher branches again.

And what about the horses, and sheep in the fields, do people think they feel no fear?
I have heard stories of kids tying fireworks to their tails!!

Then you get the kids then let them off a fortnight before and after - bless 'em.

I heard the first lot going off last Saturday night!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top