Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Re: Petition for a more realistic pension

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's unaffordable. The Benefits system focuses additional payment where means testing justifies it.

Keep in mind that our state pensions have to be funded by the taxes being paid by younger workers.
Didn't we all pay into our parents and grandparents pensions ? Why can next generation be expected to get away with not supporting theirs ?
Those of us on NMW know its a minimum to live on so how can we expect pensioners to live on less ?
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:46 PM

I suppose our Government could always get support for the pensions from the National Lottery......... Oh wait they can't can they because the Canadians reap the rewards from ours and the Irish lottery's.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Yes, that is all true ,but some need a lot more than others, often when they don't know how to manage their income, or chose to spend it on beer and cigarettes!
Their problem. This may seem harsh but such is life.

Maybe one option to seriously consider would be to resurect some form of institutionalised living as a fallback for those who just can't cut it coping in the wide world?

Not the workhouses of old but places of safety nonetheless.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 06:24 AM

Hi

Simple fact of life.

Other Countries have much higher State Pensions because they pay more Tax to fund them.

Nothing is for free.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Ok here is my little bit of input

I worked from age 15 . During that time I had 5 years not working because of my babies . I earned very poor wages due to no training and no qualifications as at 15 I left school to help feed the family

Throughout my life until I was 57 I earned the minimum wage which was about £4.50 per hour at that time .

From the age of 38 I paid into a small pension pot with pearl . Then from the age of 50 I paid into a workplace pension .

when I eventually retired at 64 I received pension credit top up for which I am very grateful . I manage quite well as I never earned much money during my working life so I guess I've never been able to spend lots of money .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Didn't we all pay into our parents and grandparents pensions ? Why can next generation be expected to get away with not supporting theirs ?
Those of us on NMW know its a minimum to live on so how can we expect pensioners to live on less ?
Hi

Because it was in balance then.

We are now living much longer, so a huge deficit.

This has been known about for the last two decades, but Governments have done nothing.

It is down to our Generation, not the next.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Ok here is my little bit of input

I worked from age 15 . During that time I had 5 years not working because of my babies . I earned very poor wages due to no training and no qualifications as at 15 I left school to help feed the family

Throughout my life until I was 57 I earned the minimum wage which was about £4.50 per hour at that time .

From the age of 38 I paid into a small pension pot with pearl . Then from the age of 50 I paid into a workplace pension .

when I eventually retired at 64 I received pension credit top up for which I am very grateful . I manage quite well as I never earned much money during my working life so I guess I've never been able to spend lots of money .
You and me as well.

Don't get pension credit because I also saved.

My income with both the pensions is about £9k a year.

Happy with that and thank the Government for paying a fair and generous pension.

Since I married in 1967 I only took two holidays with my wife and daughter as well, I struggled to pay my mortgage for ten years after paying taxes at 33%. But I saved any money I could for my old age.

Think the only ones who will sign this are people who are about to retire who went to Spain every year or bought a holiday home
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The NMW is NOT the minimum to live on and is supplemented by an assortment of means tested benefits.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:24 AM

we started by paying what was called graduated pensions until that scheme was superceded to what we have now.

For a man

retirement age before April 6 2016 a guaranteed weekly income – £129.20 a week for 2019/20

The full rate of the new State Pension will be £168.60 per week (in 2019/20)

This is what is totally unfair we should all get the same pension, our living costs are the same
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:44 AM

I imagined anyone interested in making retired peoples live easier after all many of us won't be living to retire now as we will die working so this idea the numbers will increase seems based on bad data to me. 70 is age most of my family die. 65 my husband's family die. We will on that average only get two years at best as our retirement. And I don't believe we are alone.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top