Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:09 PM

If You Had The Room, Would You Consider Taking In A Lodger?

The thought crossed my mind this morning as l prepared the room for my daughter who is coming to stay for the weekend.

I thought if a lodger/paying guest was self contained in this room with an en-suite, it wouldn’t impact on my life very much.

They could have a kettle and a microwave, the telly is already in there, so it would be ideal! Plus, it would be a nice little earner for me!

Then reality kicked in. They’d need to access the kitchen, the washing machine, the tumble dryer and maybe the dishwasher. I would have to keep the house tip top clean. I’d have to creep around, in case l made noise and woke them.
They might not pay the rent, they might trash the room or invite undesirable friends.

Then l asked myself, ‘Do you really want a cuckoo in the nest with probably the loss of your privacy?’ ‘No, not really’, so l scrubbed that very good idea!

Do you have or ever had a lodger? Would you consider having one?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Re: If You Had The Room, Would You Consider Taking In A Lodger?

Not for a New York Second.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:13 PM

in short, no, I wouldn't want to take in a lodger

Not for us, we like our privacy too much.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:26 PM

No, definitely not. I value my privacy - and the cats wouldn't like it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Yes I would really have a good think if we could make it work. I think there would have to be rules and I don't particularly want to be a servant so they would have to have a rota to have time to use the kitchen and washing machine etc but in principle it may help someone who needs accomodation and would boost our coffers a little too. win win really.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:31 PM

I did have when I bought my first house. I was single and in my early/mid twenties. I had four of them and it was a nice little earner.

I wouldn't consider it now. We do have the rooms but we have grand children visiting and they each like to have their own bedroom.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:57 PM

Only when I was young, free and single .....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Hi

Yes, I have done so for years.

Only ever one problem and I would not ever take in a lodger from Social Services again.

The Polish lads are great, messy, but their sister puts them in their place.

They do all the heavy stuff I cannot do when I am ill.

The NHS employees I put up on arrival are also great, good company, I learn different languages and new cooking skills.

I do the Rent a Room Scheme, completely Tax Free, which helps with paying my son's Medical Bills.

I also now have a network of places I can stay where I travel.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Maybe!

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:13 PM

My sister did for a few months to help her out. The girl either stayed in her room or was at work, or going home to Lithuania. She paid her rent, but my sis and her D often complained about the cooking smells. Sis had by then got the house up for sale so only let her stay a few months more.

Personally? No. It’s nice when my sister stays overnight but it’s also nice when she goes home. I love having the home to myself but wouldn’t even have the room when I buy the house up in Gorleston. Just me n the dog, thank you.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top