Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Re: Tipping - Who gets the money when you tip?

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
But unless your hairdresser is the owner of the salon, the prices aren't down to him/her are they?
No they aren't....still no tip from me.....
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

15-10-2019, 06:38 PM

You say they charge so much already - how much is 'so much'?
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
I think it is wrong that in some locations the tips get pooled and divided between all the staff, whatever their role.

Personally I like the idea of pooling and sharing tips.
Let's face it in a hotel or restaurant the server is simply the front of house person that we see. There is a small army at work behind-the-scenes all are important to our enjoyment.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

15-10-2019, 07:08 PM

To me that is the whole point - it is those who have to interface with the public who have the hardest job
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by tregonsee ->
personally i like the idea of pooling and sharing tips.
Let's face it in a hotel or restaurant the server is simply the front of house person that we see. There is a small army at work behind-the-scenes all are important to our enjoyment.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 07:18 PM

20 quid to some bloke who delivers a new dishwasher and does an unexpected little plumbing job on the side.

I save my eating out and tipping for when on holiday abroad.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 09:23 PM

It's not the custom to tip here for anything. We have to adjust our thinking when we are overseas where it is normal but here it's considered almost an insult! "Here, peasant, a little gift for you".
I remember back in 1965 working in a hotel in Torquay which worked on a 10% surcharge instead of tips but a bit of diligent inquiring found that only 30% of that got to staff. Rest stopped at the manager!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 09:47 PM

I try not to tip, in case there are covert cameras.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 10:41 PM

It's an individual thing I think. It's always expected in the US at a minimum 15%. In Canada it's similar to the US and is more expected in French Canada although wages are higher there. It never seemed a big thing in the UK. When I was in the UK I tipped good service. The people seemed surprised but they certainly didn't complain. IN the US the service was usually over the top excellent anyway so I didn't begrudge any tip. In Australia it's the choice of the customer and people tip more here than they used to. I always give a tip at a restaurant unless it's rubbish: 10 % usually. But it's only restaurants and occasionally -that is once in a blue moon when I catch one, a $5 tip for a cab- Nothing else. Pay what's on the bill. End of story.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 11:51 AM

I only tip in cash and only to the person who provides the customer service. Usually a waitress/waiter who takes some extra trouble to give quality service.

I trust them to pay whatever tax that implies.

The rest of the staff, the non customer facing ones, I would expect to have salaries reflecting their contribution.

I should add that. when I was a Service Engineer, going to Customer sites, I was barred from accepting tips.
The Company argued that we were paid to make the Customer happy and our pay was performance related.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top