Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 02:00 PM

Savings

Tired of Debt, many people have reduced their spending drastically....but where to put what has been saved.
?
I save about 10% of my income every month, but it's languishing in a basic savings account with Santander.

Are you saving & where have you put your stash?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 02:17 PM

Re: Savings

I don't have debts.

My savings are in Santander too...not a very good interest rate but it is instantly accessible and better than nothing.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 02:42 PM

Mine are in one bank, spread over a current account, e-savings, e-isa, and GEBs. And a small amount in Premium Bonds. Everything is such a crap interest rate I didn't even top up the ISA. One Bond matures this year, doubt it'll return much, and the other two in 2016.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 02:51 PM

I don't have a lot of savings, what I do have was bringing in so little interest of late I decided to put it into premium bonds.
I only ever win £25 prizes, I had two wins at once on one occasion it happened to be the week of my birthday too.

I don't think my wins cover my lost interest but they can't be far off
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 03:29 PM

In the words of Seasick Steve.

" I started out with nothing, and i still got most of it left"

What saving`s i had evaporated when i first became ill it took 10 months before it was all gone, not much to show for 40 odd years of hard graft.

Eventually i was put on ESA, i never claimed when i was ill or redundant, just as long as i could pay my way. I now feel like a criminal in my own country because i have to claim money just to survive.

There are plenty out there in the same boat, and with the current mob in charge it will get worse.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't have a lot of savings, what I do have was bringing in so little interest of late I decided to put it into premium bonds.
Cash is the worst asset class to be in right now and all because Blair and Brown borrowed and spent like there was no tommorrow. Well tommorrow has come and everyone is paying for it, even those who did try to save between 2000 and 2008.

I am switching into Premium Bonds too Meg, haven't ever won much but there's always a possibility and unlike the lottery your money stays in the fund and can be withdrawn at any time, with the lottery once you've bought your ticket that's it, you'll never see that pound again
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
In the words of Seasick Steve.

" I started out with nothing, and i still got most of it left"

What saving`s i had evaporated when i first became ill it took 10 months before it was all gone, not much to show for 40 odd years of hard graft.

Eventually i was put on ESA, i never claimed when i was ill or redundant, just as long as i could pay my way. I now feel like a criminal in my own country because i have to claim money just to survive.

There are plenty out there in the same boat, and with the current mob in charge it will get worse.
I can sympathize with you! Sounds like next budget will hit the less well off again!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 09:30 PM

Thank you for all your responses, very helpful.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I can sympathize with you! Sounds like next budget will hit the less well off again!
Correct Twizard, easy targets.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Tired of Debt, many people have reduced their spending drastically....but where to put what has been saved.
?
I save about 10% of my income every month, but it's languishing in a basic savings account with Santander.

Are you saving & where have you put your stash?
I am saving but not by choice. I must be at an age where one has everything one wants so there is nothing to spend money on. In spite of several long overseas and local trips each year my savings account increases even with Christmas.

The annoying thing is I don't want to save, I don't need to save yet my savings steadily increase year after year, it is absurd. I have just lashed out a couple of grand on a very nice 7 channel amplifier system for my TV and radio but am at a loss what else to spend it on.

As for where I put it - I have an account with my Credit Union called Net Invest which has an interest rate about 4% so each fortnight I shovel my surplus into that it is usually between $200 and $300 (£100 to £150). Don't get the idea that I have masses of money floating about but I certainly have a lot more than I need.

I never thought that after retiring spending money would be a problem!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top