Join for free
Page 1638 of 1676 « First < 638 1138 1538 1588 1628 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1648 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 01:17 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Sounds like a Gumdog.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sounds like a Gumdog.
Hahaha!
She is quite "gumsy" as it is, due to her breaking her teeth on the damn pavement!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 11:21 PM

Yes you wouldn’t want your dog to pick up something nasty in the chewing gum, the muzzle might be a good idea Pixie.

When you were talking about your workplace a few post back Fruity, you reminded me of a manager I worked under.
Nothing to do with that old chestnut where the woman was complaining about Doctors to her neighbour “I’ve been under the same Doctor for years and I still can’t get any satisfaction”

The last big workshop I worked in before I started to work for myself had the best employers I ever had the privilege to work for.

Run by a London Jewish family who had moved to Dublin just before the start of the 2nd world war, they treated their employees with great respect and even gave us sick pay and Good Fridays off, unheard of in the jewellery trade back then, as I said it was a privilege to work for such decent employers, great atmosphere and harmony abounded throughout the whole building.

Too good to last says you, and you’d be right.

When the old Scottish manager, Joe McGregor died suddenly one of the bosses sons hired a fella who was a salesman in Tiffany’s of London, this chap had no bench or workshop experience but he was a pal of the bosses son.
Percy something was his name, I forget his surname but he was a proper B, the four office girls nicknamed him Percy Cute, not because he was ‘cute’ but because he was a terror to work for, the name stuck.

It was like trying to put a square peg into a round hole, he just didn’t fit, his terrible manner, his arrogance, his belittling of the employees, his sense of supreme superiority, it would take more than one page to list all that was wrong with him.

Several valuable members of the staff of 25 left during Percy’s first three moths there and the boss was not happy about that at all.

This chap was not suitable for the job it’s that simple, everyone hated him and there was a cloud of misery over the workshop and in the office with the girls, he just had to go.

Only trouble was Percy was signed up to a years contract and threatened to take the old boss to court if he tried to sack him, in the end he was handsomely paid off and everyone was delighted to see the back of him.

A few years later i met another chap who had worked in the same place and we got talking about the times we had there, he told me that Percy got a job managing a big Aran wool export concern in Galway, he bought a small boat and one day he was caught in a storm off Salthill, the boat sank and Percy was drowned.
Much as I disliked the man It was sad to hear that, rest his soul.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 11:41 PM

Much as I disliked the man It was sad to hear that, rest his soul.

Good sentiment Jem, so many mavericks are discarded, because they don't fit the mould. The trouble is, the mould fitters don't have any stories to tell, that is strange.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 11:07 PM

I was reading about a hundred year old woman from County Mayo who buried her husband last year, he was 99 when he departed.
She was being interviewed after she got her letter from the President (on reaching your 100th birthday here you receive a €2,540 cheque and a congratulatory letter signed by the President).

They had been married for 75 years, and when the reporter asked her what was the secret of a long and happy marriage she didn’t go into multiple details, she simply said “He was easy to live with”

To my way of thinking, that sums up an awful lot, and how true it is, most committed relationships go on the rocks because the couple find they can no longer get on with living together so sadly they split up and that’s the end of it.
To me getting along through the rough and smooth together without cracking up is what marriage is all about, but then I’m old fashioned.

When I look back now at my 55 year old marriage I realise that my missus was always “easy to live with”, I just hope I am, so I asked my dearly beloved.

“Darling, would you say I was easy to live with”
“Yes dear, but so is the wart on me back”
“Ah now there’s no call for that remark darling”

See what I mean, we get along fine.

I wonder does Phyllis’s oldest sister know how much she’ll get when she reaches 100?, she’s 95 now and slowing down a bit, she’s a bit stingy with her few bob, but if she heard she’s in line for two and a half grand she’ll stay alive just for spite.

Enough of the sentimental old trash.

There’s a word I hear a lot now on quiz shows “Conundrum”

I was trying to figure out how to use it in a sentence, so I asked me 8 year old grandson, we talk on Skype a lot now, the boy is a great fan of wildlife, he talks to his mother in Italian and his father in English, he sometimes gets mixed up with big words, just like his grandfather, here’s what he said.

“Well granda, if a Penguin puts a Penguin egg over his head it can’t get warm over him, but it canunderhim”

Good on ya my Son, your a man after me own heart, great to see he has a Dublin sense of humour.

And for any budding David Attenboroughs out there waiting to pounce, the male and female Penguins take turns sitting on the eggs, or so he tells me.

Speaking of Penguins, is this the only ‘song’ in the world with one word in it?

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 03:02 AM

Money when you reach 100 is it? What bloody good is that? Mind you, I suspect Lizzy 2 wouldn't miss a few grand every now and then.

I don't know about your side of the Irish Sea, but one of the main reasons for a marriage to end over here is that it is so easy to get a divorce.

That's not necessarily a bad thing in some cases. It would be awful for someone stuck in an awful marriage and not be able to break free from violence and tyranny.

The problem comes when someone just gets bored with their other half and says, I want a change of scenery. Sign here.

Second marriages are common over here. I wouldn't be wed to my Lovely Cousin if that were not the case, but you see so called celebs getting married over and over again.
If someone has six failed marriages behind them I really think they are not suited to try it again.

There is an old saying. If you want to know what your wife will be like in thirty years time, look at her mother. I'm sure it is not entirely true in every case, but many people get married without thinking about the future.

Getting along with someone, or easy to live with, is a major part of marriage. If you don't get on with your partner then in my o'pinion you should not be together.

What do I know? I've only ever had one partner and we get on fine, just like the wart on her back.

As for your question about a song with only one wurd in it, there was an awful one in the popular charts a while back where the only wurd was, Scanga. I have no idea if I have spilled it kreckly.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-02-2021, 08:20 AM

Why do Batman and Robin have their masks over their eyes an not their mouths? Also, what is Robins "R" rate????
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why do Batman and Robin have their masks over their eyes an not their mouths? Also, what is Robins "R" rate????
So they can eat their dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner. Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner; Batman!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

10-02-2021, 11:56 PM

Batman is a kleptomaniac, he can’t go into town without Robin.

I fully agree with you about divorce Fruity, I voted for it in the referendum here a few years ago.
I can only imagine the horror of living with someone you hate, and no way out of it.

I see they’re going to the Moon in 2024 and they are taking a woman with them, good luck to them, I wonder has she been selected yet, if not I have one in mind, she’s been in space for most of her life so the experience is already there.

I’d have thought after 50 years of first landing there they would have a Spacebus service by now, after all it’s literally not a million miles away is it? 238 855 miles to be exact, wouldn’t even register in the realms of space distances. They were saying back then that by the end of the 20th century women would be having babies on the Moon, a whole new generation of space children, experts me arse.

I hope it won’t be just like the last time where they jumped around for a few hours laughing and joking then brought home a sack of useless rocks.
I’m sure there are new undiscovered metals and other materials that could be mined up there, help pay for the preparations for the Mars trip, diamonds too perhaps?, maybe this time they will probe a bit deeper down the surface, bring an Irishman with them, the old pick and shove would be handy if the technology for digging is not tough enough for the task, ya can't beat an Irishman when you hand him a good shovel, sure bejayus there's no stoppin' him.

I had this little story I found lined up to post at Christmas but it got lost in all the other junk files I have accumulated, I have to admit to being a very untidy file keeper.

A bit late now but with all the recent snow about I thought I’d sneak it in.

A Russian couple was walking down a street in St. Petersburg one Winter’s night, when the man felt a drop hit his nose. "I think it's raining," he said to his wife.
"No, that felt more like snow to me," she replied. "No, I'm sure it was just rain, he said."
Well, as these things go, they were about to have a major argument about whether it was raining or snowing. Just then they saw a minor communist party official walking toward them. "Let's not fight about it," the man said, "let's ask Comrade Rudolph whether it's officially raining or snowing."
As the official approached, the man said, "Tell us, Comrade Rudolph, is it officially raining or snowing?"
"It's raining, of course," he answered and walked on. But the woman insisted: "I know that felt like snow!" To which the man quietly replied: "Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!

Remember Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen?
This was a huge hit for them in 1961, brings back happy memories to me of my first visit to a dance hall with Phyllis in the Kingsway Ballroom, just down the end of the lane from the house I was born in, sadly now all pulled down.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-02-2021, 12:05 AM

Jem, your just to good to be true.

Page 1638 of 1676 « First < 638 1138 1538 1588 1628 1636 1637 1638 1639 1640 1648 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top