Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Re: Water Meter...

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Then have a sniff ... to detect a whiff?
Ah yes, good idea ..... but, but, what if you've no sense of smell??? Just trying to cover all eventualities!
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Oh well .. too late for me anyway
Hi Rachel - Sorry to hear of your problems with your meter...

I could be wrong, (I'll need to check the paperwork), but I think we have 2 years to consider the benefits (or not) of our water meter. We can change our minds and have it removed.

We're with Welsh Water. ( A 'Not for profit Company')

Regards, Malc.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:30 PM

Period was 13 Months.

Theory was you would get 2 bills in that so you could compare to your last water bill before the meter was fitted to see if you were better off.

PS the Meter would not be removed just ignored but come into effect when a new owner brought the house.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lochsong ->
Ah yes, good idea ..... but, but, what if you've no sense of smell??? Just trying to cover all eventualities!
Have a taste to see if it's waste?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 01:51 PM

Getting a water meter was one of my better decisions. Now living alone and being out at work most of the day my monthly water bill from Yorkshire Water is £8.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Hi Rachel - Sorry to hear of your problems with your meter...

I could be wrong, (I'll need to check the paperwork), but I think we have 2 years to consider the benefits (or not) of our water meter. We can change our minds and have it removed.

We're with Welsh Water. ( A 'Not for profit Company')

Regards, Malc.
Originally Posted by galty ->
Period was 13 Months.

Theory was you would get 2 bills in that so you could compare to your last water bill before the meter was fitted to see if you were better off.

PS the Meter would not be removed just ignored but come into effect when a new owner brought the house.
Thanks both
When I queried the price and got them to come and check for leaks ... they said I couldn't change it.

What I haven't managed to do yet, is to turn off the water for 24 hours to see if the dial keeps moving. Must do it sometime I guess.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->

What I haven't managed to do yet, is to turn off the water for 24 hours to see if the dial keeps moving. Must do it sometime I guess.
Depends where your meter is.

If its fitted outside turn off your incoming stop cock in the House---if the meter clock is moving you have an underground leak before the mains enter your house.

In most case it will be this.

If you meter is fitted in your house---make shawe NO water is running Taps toilet even a tank in loft.

If meter clock is still moving you have a leak somewhere in the house--probably under the floorboards.

Does not need 24 hours more like 24 seconds to find out if you have a leak.

There could be another reason which is that your meter is faulty and giving a false reading.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Depends where your meter is.

If its fitted outside turn off your incoming stop cock in the House---if the meter clock is moving you have an underground leak before the mains enter your house.

In most case it will be this.

If you meter is fitted in your house---make shawe NO water is running Taps toilet even a tank in loft.

If meter clock is still moving you have a leak somewhere in the house--probably under the floorboards.

Does not need 24 hours more like 24 seconds to find out if you have a leak.
There is no leak ... the meter is in the pavement and the chap who came out turned things off and assured me there was no leak because the clock stopped moving.
I have seen, online, that some people with high water bills are actually paying for their neighbours' meters, so that would be the next thing to check, by turning off my water for 24 hours.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 07:18 PM

I have to say that I am being increasingly put off having a water meter.

We do have a rainwater butt, but (but, but) never use it as it is probably full of legionella by now.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2016, 08:30 PM

I was thinking about this thread today as I was running water from the Combi boiler down the drain, waiting for the hot water to come out of the tap.

Maybe that's why some use more on their meter?

The people next door are on a meter and I remember him saying when they changed to a Combi boiler earlier this year, that he can't believe how much water they waste waiting for the hot water.

Just a thought...

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top