Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:20 AM

Re: A Christmas Appeal with a difference

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
To many begging appeals on TV. Why can't any of them state how much is going into admin costs?

Maybe they would if you asked ?
Have you ever tried?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Every year we have Save the Children and many other Charities asking for money around this time of year.

Then I saw this, and thought I'd post it because I really like the idea, and I hope some other animals lovers on here will too.

Channel 5. December 21st. 8 pm.
Have a look, see what you think.
I shall mark my calender.

http://www.channel5.com/helptheanimals/
Yep. We donate to the charity where we got our big hairy beast.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
To many begging appeals on TV. Why can't any of them state how much is going into admin costs?
Also why don't the governments of these countries do more ? no they expect us to help them out.
I think that's the greatest problem in many of the countries. They don't have the same respect for animals. They are seen as commodities and money spinners. All the animals killed for ivory and rhino horn for medicines, and gifts. The orang-utans that are virtually homeless in Indonesia now from decimation of the forest and palm trees. 13 lions and tigers sit in a rescue centre after being rescues from circuses in Bolivia , waiting to be flown back to Africa. 4 Lions flown from Ukraine back to Africa today after years in a sealed concrete cage in freezing conditions. Last week a whole zoo was emptied out in Albania of animals with feet missing , legs missing, eye infections.... the list is enormous and ongoing. Governments don't care, in the god forsaken countries that want to be part of the EU.. ..that's the joke !
That is where the charities are able to make differences. Apart from rescues, forcing despicable zoos to close down, managing to get bans on wild animal travelling circuses ,world wide, they are also constantly trying to get change with the mind-set of governments in different countries.
They work very hard and each animal rescued afterwards has to be fed, vets, medication, etc. for life. Even the flights passports and legal paperwork costs thousands for each animal.
33 lions rescued from Peru and Colombia and returned to Africa a little over 18 months ago have so far cost over £500,000 in that short time .
I'm not saying anyone should give to any charity, just pointing out that animal rescue and care is going on all the time (daily) and it is not cheap, and even in this country our animals need the help !

Just out of interest, as an example of where charity money is spent, this is 4 Paws rescue of the animals in Aleppo Zoo, just about 18 months ago. Worth a read.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ppo-syria-zoo/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Well said, Puddles.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Great idea .
I already support several animal charities .
Not the RSPCA I just don't trust them .
The biggest one I support is the Brooke Hospital which cares for horses and donkeys in the Middle East .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top