Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 10:04 AM

Re: Squashes

I planted three seeds and they have each taken, they are now in 3" pots.
I decided yesterday to grow one in the greenhouse (will have to take out one of the benches) and make room for a cucumber plant too
The other two squashes I will put in the border where I grow my bit of veg. Will be interesting comparing them
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 06:03 PM

My cucumber plant is about 18" long now and the squashes about 12"
I'm slowly making room in the greenhouse, and hubby is making supports .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 07:12 PM

I've never bothered too much with squashes as we've never really eaten any. I'm growing courgettes this year as I'd been given some free seeds and I found a bit of spare soil, but I find them tasteless and insipid to eat, particularly when they develop into marrows...

I bought two mini cucumber plants this year of different varieties, and they are developing well in the greenhouse..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2013, 07:40 PM

I always grow a couple of courgette plants but I agree with you Barry, they are pretty tasteless.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

22-05-2013, 09:55 AM

I'm not a courgette or marrow lover either.
The squash seeds were a gift (Christmas stocking ) Been trying to remember what the stuffed marrow dish is called
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

14-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Well, my three squashes (which are now two - my daughter pinched one ) are showing signs of flower and the cucumber - which is growing in the greenhouse, has four flowers..I noticed two bees pollinating it earlier.
Am I sad, but I'm quite pleased with it all?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Well done Janela
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

09-07-2013, 05:22 PM

An update () on my squashes. I have two healthy plants growing in my veggie border. They flowered but there is no fruit, they are about to flower again! Fingers crossed this time. They are under the netting in the fruit 'cage' and today I'm going to feed them - I might not be watering them enough.
My water butts are almost empty, so it'll have to be the hose.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

29-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Another update on my squashes .. we had 5 squashes, they were about fist size. Hubby lifted them off the soil and put some fibre matting for them to sit on.
Something pinched a big chunk of the fibre and ate 4 of the fruit
There are plenty of new flowers but I'm so bl**dy annoyed We were looking forward to trying them..I don't know if it's too late in the season for more squashes to develop.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 01:13 PM

Just caught up with this thread Janela ...... I am sorry for your squash loss. Hedgehog or some rodent do you think? Do you still have any smaller fruits that could develop? If so, I'd net them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top