Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2013, 12:19 AM

Re: Saving the Bees

I guess I'm "lucky" in a way, because yesterday I saw loads of butterflies, honey bees and bumble bees in my garden. I was thrilled with the butterlfies but I must admit I'm a little nervous of being too close to bees. Then to my amazement, I heard something nearly as loud as a helicopter coming and a huge big furry bumble bee zoomed over my head and disappeared into my flowerbed. It really was a whopper! Then I began to notice quite a few smaller furry ones disappearing the same way and when I felt brave enough to look properly, I discovered I have a nest under my garden shed. According to the Beekeepers website - I am lucky! Apparently the bumble bees are not as aggressive as the honey bees and nowhere near as evil as wasps (who seem to sting for fun)! I treat them with the greatest respect and just hope me and my dogs remain safe and we can all survive the summer together amicably.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2013, 07:10 AM

Mups, could your helicopter have been a hornet, they are big and noisy, my German Shepherd screamed and ran away from one -and he was too thick to be scared of anything.

We have had less bees this year, the butterflies have been busy this week and my Honeysuckle is humming, perhaps they have been waiting for the sunshine.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Normally I hang a 'bee house' on the wall behind my garage in early spring - this year I forgot - but the bees didn't. There is a huge bumble bee living in it - on a shelf inside the garage! He pops out and hums at me whenever I go to the freezer but he seems to like his des res!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2013, 10:56 AM

I was walking my dog one day and suddenly I couldn't see for I was surrounded by bees. A man shouted at me to stand still but I was not brave enough and rushed through them. The man told me that they were his bees and that he had been looking for them all morning. Later I saw him in his bee keeping outfit going to pick up his runaways. What I was going to say was, they were not aggressive and didn't chase me or hurt me and I was surrounded.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2013, 10:57 AM

My daughters one bee hive, is now four! The bee keeper 'phones her to ask if he can add another, each time he finds a new swarm She is happy, he is happy and it appears the bees are too
She is madly planting in the hedgerows round her field, wild roses (dog roses) dogwood - they are filling in any gaps.
People like Friends of the Earth etc., have committed themselves to helping with wild flower seeds but you have to be careful which sites you look at - some are only in it for the money!

The thistles we grew are now flowering and the bees love them
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
My daughters one bee hive, is now four! The bee keeper 'phones her to ask if he can add another, each time he finds a new swarm She is happy, he is happy and it appears the bees are too
She is madly planting in the hedgerows round her field, wild roses (dog roses) dogwood - they are filling in any gaps.
People like Friends of the Earth etc., have committed themselves to helping with wild flower seeds but you have to be careful which sites you look at - some are only in it for the money!

The thistles we grew are now flowering and the bees love
them
We have a green just opposite our house and some parts have been left to get overgrown with all kinds of 'weeds' and wild flowers, however you should hear the number of complainers who say that the seeds get into their gardens and they end up with 'weeds' too.

As a honey lover I congratulate your daughter for her care of our furry friends.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Hi Mam, No it wasn't a Hornet, but I might have exaggerated just a tiny bit about it being like a 'helicopter' . . . . . rather like the fisherman's 'one that got away' ha ha.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-07-2013, 09:49 AM

MaM - p.s. Your GSD was very sensible running way. My silly youngest dog thinks they are to play with and I fear for her coming unstuck if she's not careful!
Love GSD's, had them for 30 odd years. They were the gentlest, and most loving dogs in the world. I adored them.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

25-07-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
MaM - p.s. Your GSD was very sensible running way. My silly youngest dog thinks they are to play with and I fear for her coming unstuck if she's not careful!
Love GSD's, had them for 30 odd years. They were the gentlest, and most loving dogs in the world. I adored them.
I met a young man walking his dog who told me that his daft dog swallowed a bee or wasp and it caused such a bad reaction that her throat swelled making it difficult to breath he said the vet reckoned that the dog has an allergy and therefore he need to be very careful that daft dog doesn't swallow another one.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I met a young man walking his dog who told me that his daft dog swallowed a bee or wasp and it caused such a bad reaction that her throat swelled making it difficult to breath he said the vet reckoned that the dog has an allergy and therefore he need to be very careful that daft dog doesn't swallow another one.
Yes, I too have heard of that Cookiecate, the swelling closes off their airways. Must be very frightening for the animal and the owner. Very quick action needed there.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top