Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Feeding plants

Does the type of food you feed to fruit and vegetables affect the flavor ?

Last year I used 'Maxicrop Organic Seaweed Plant Food' which is very expensive, I am currently using Miracle-Gro Organic Choice All Purpose Plant Food .

A lady I worked with used to have an old barrel at the bottom of the garden which she filled with sheep dung topped up with water, this was her plant food which apparently gave excellent results.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Re: Feeding plants

No it doesn't Meg only the vigour, quality and quantity of produce. My dad was an expert veg grower and he started me off early with an interest in gardening which has stayed with me all of my life.

He used sheep muck, when he could get it, in a hessian sack at the bottom of a barrel. Another good organic fertiliser is nettle broth. A handful of nettles, stems and all, put in a bucket and covered with water. Leave to steep until the foliage is rotted away. Dilute and water your plants. Smells a bit ripe mind you.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Uff ->
No it doesn't Meg only the vigour, quality and quantity of produce. My dad was an expert veg grower and he started me off early with an interest in gardening which has stayed with me all of my life.

He used sheep muck, when he could get it, in a hessian sack at the bottom of a barrel. Another good organic fertiliser is nettle broth. A handful of nettles, stems and all, put in a bucket and covered with water. Leave to steep until the foliage is rotted away. Dilute and water your plants. Smells a bit ripe mind you.
That's interesting Uff thanks I can have a go at nettles and there is plenty of sheep muck in the field . The problem with using that is my garden is only small and I am worried about the smell . I guess the nettles smell like silage and I don't mind that smell at all
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2013, 11:32 AM

I tend to use an organic slow release general purpose fertilizer twice a year for my fruit and veg, although I feed the heavy feeding greenhouse plants such as cucumbers and tomatoes once a week when they have set fruit, usually Tomatorite or other similar patent off the shelf feed....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

23-06-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I tend to use an organic slow release general purpose fertilizer twice a year for my fruit and veg, although I feed the heavy feeding greenhouse plants such as cucumbers and tomatoes once a week when they have set fruit, usually Tomatorite or other similar patent off the shelf feed....
Hi Barry I have some Tomatorite from last year, I guess it is still ok to use.

I think I will look into the slow release fertilizers for next year.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Fish blood and bone for us.
We get some good results with it but I do use Tomorite, especially in the hanging baskets
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

24-06-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Fish blood and bone for us.
We get some good results with it but I do use Tomorite, especially in the hanging baskets
..is that all you use Janela is that on everything.
How often do you use it ..

I used to use BFB until Chloe decided the soil smelt like her dinner and ate it might try again now she is older..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 05:00 PM

We dig in manure initially, and then sprinkle the FBB in. Maybe one more application while hoeing and the plants are getting their roots.
When we see the flower, we feed with Richard Jacksons feed. (hubby does the feeding - I always forget) but I do like Tomorite in the baskets.
I noticed nettles growing alongside daughters brook last week, I thought I'd pick some and put them in a bucket of water. Do you know what the quantity is per bucket - do you dilute it to feed?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2013, 06:50 PM

I guess you'ld have to do a scientific test to answer that question Meg. I always use Growmore balanced fertiliser which I scatter over ALL my garden (apart from the lawns) in mid- March to give the rain a chance to water it in before I start planting out. In an average season I get good results so I must be doing something right.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone

Have just read on the Gardeners World page that it is a good idea to give strawberries a feed with Tomatorite every 10 days while they are fruiting so I will give that a go

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top