Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Young Simmo
Carnarvon West Aust
Young Simmo is male  Young Simmo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Yum, Yum won't grow

I have been trying to get some Rhubarb going but not much luck, does anybody have any clues. First of all I live in Carnarvon North West Aust, which is probably sub tropical climate. I had 4 Rhubarb plants in large flower pots about 18" dia at the top. They only ever got to about 6 or 7 inches of stork length. I chucked 3 of them in the rubbish bin and planted one in the ground in a 50/50 mixture of potting mix and river sand. This last one is probably getting storks of 8 or 9 inches, nothing like the 15 to 18 inch ones I see in the Supermart.......HELP.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 02:22 PM

Re: Yum, Yum won't grow

Did you try "forcing" them? You need an upside down bucket with no bottom, I think you keep them covered completely until they grow to a certain length & then take the "top" off! My Dad used to do it with his, makes them tender too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Usually rhubarb has larger leaves than stalks I think, the commercial rhubarb is probably forced by growing in the dark to make the stalks longer.
Young Simmo
Carnarvon West Aust
Young Simmo is male  Young Simmo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 02:29 PM

Thanks mate, you make it sound like keeping them in the dark will make them reach for the Sun. I will put a plastic rubbish bin over my current plant, and see what happens. Watch this space.
Young Simmo
Carnarvon West Aust

22-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks Julie I think you guys have just given me the clue.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Surround your plant with good compost and give plenty of water in spring if the weather is dry...........muck & magic I call it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 02:33 PM

I seem to remember people using old chimney pots over their rhubarb, nice & long, they grow longer to reach the light. Then the leaves pop out the top!
Young Simmo
Carnarvon West Aust

22-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Actually Alan we have a very low rainfall hear compared to most other places. We have probably had 100mm (4 inches) since Xmas, but I water every day and spread some blood and bone every Sunday. My spring Onions and Tomatoes thrive as do the Parsley, Mint and White onions. In fact one of my Favourite summer lunches is a Ham, Tomato and White Onion sandwich. I pick my white onions when they are only about 2 inches in Dia, and they are 10 times as flavoursome as the big ones from the store.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

22-07-2013, 02:47 PM

Oh, yes, Alan, I remember something about horse manure!
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2013, 03:13 PM

I don't really worry about the length of the stalks as I think that the flavour is more important. Yes, horse manure and I remember my Mother saving blood from the meat, especially liver to feed the rhubarb.

At the end of the growing season, I heap my rhubarb bed with remaining compost, this helps to keep it warm and frost free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top