Join for free
zinnia
Wiltshire
zinnia is female  zinnia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 05:08 PM

Blueberry Bush Care

I have a Blueberry bush which I have grown on from a tiny plant. It is now some 3ft 6" tall and I usually nip off the tops of the new shoots when approx. 6 inches long. I overwinter it in the greenhouse. It is usually laden with flowers in the spring but not many of the fruits make it to being ripe. Blackbirds and squirrels being very fond of them. Does anybody know if, now it is getting bigger, it should be pruned harder?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Re: Blueberry Bush Care

Sorry Zinnia I've never grown one but I would have thought you could get cultural instructions off t'internet.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 06:01 PM

As far as I know Zinnia, you cut out diseased and damaged canes first, then tackle any crossing canes in the middle to keep the plant 'open' and disease free.
I don't think they should be hard pruned.
But do look them up on the net as Alan suggested, or the nursery where purchased from.
Be blowed if I'd share them with the wildlife though can't you cover them with netting?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 06:20 PM

I grow blueberries, and just treat the bushes like my blackcurrants; after fruiting I cut out any dead or diseased wood, prune the branches to a manageable size for my garden (around 3` high in my case) and then I prune out the centre of the bush which prevents crowding and allows air to circulate which helps to prevent the formation of mildew.
My plants also stay out in the garden all year as they are both hardy and deciduous, and I feed with an ericaceous slow release fertilizer in Spring. Lastly, from experience my bushes are a protected from birds and pests with a net cage, lest there is nothing left come harvest time and all the hard work has been for nothing.....
zinnia
Wiltshire
zinnia is female  zinnia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks all of you - yes I will look it up on the net as well. It sounds silly but I do like all the wildlife in the garden and don't mind sharing - can't be bothered with netting in case the birds get caught up.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top