Join for free
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Who knows about fruit trees?

About 7 years ago I purchased some property and decided to put in some fruit trees. I have a Red Delicious Apple, a Granny Smith Apple, a European Plum, a Bartlett Pear, a Bosc Pear and an Edmonton (Reliance) Peach. My problem is the peach tree. This year it developed so many peaches the branches started bending.. Being a novice, I did not know to thin the fruit and prop up the branches. Peach tree branches seem to grow more horrizontally than the other fruit trees. Anyway, one of the two main fruit bearing large branches split under the weight and I had to cut it off, leaving only one main branch and several smaller ones. I also had to trim back the other branch as it was touching the ground. I used a pruning spray to cover the wound. I'm wondering if the tree is going to survive missing one of its main bearing branches.

I could just kick myself for letting this happen.. I just didn't know as I am new to this.. Those peaches were so sweet and juicy last year that I would hate for this tree to die. Does anyone know if I have saved the tree... or killed it?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Re: Who knows about fruit trees?

Cutting one branch off a tree is not going to kill it. the worst that can happen is that the tree won't have a good shape.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:20 PM

If the peach wants to grow horizontally, why not train it into an espalier tree?
Like Alan said, cutting a branch off won't kill it.
There are lots of sites that show the care and pruning of new fruit trees, good luck with your peach.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Well cant say I do but hey have got olives on my trees, cant believe it.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 01:32 PM

I'm impressed annie.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top