Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Any Old Iron!

Sam was an old chap who lived in the house we have now, when we bought the house the garden was in a bit of a mess, Sam passed away 9 years before.
Now Sam had carried every bit of soil into this garden, from the road when it was brought by tipper lorry.
The garden was once a turnaround for horse and carts, and later coal lorries, well Sam realised the road was going to waste, so in came the soil to a good depth of 2 feet and sloping, so it was a mammoth undertaking, the little walls he built round it, are still here in places.
Now I had a task and half clearing it up, and I promised Mrs Sam that we would return it to it's former glory, one thing she asked was to keep his hydrangea which was his pride and joy, she mentioned that Sam had told her that to keep it's nice vibrant colour, you must give it plenty of iron, he used to throw old nails and metal bits from the garden, even a carthorse shoe, which I still have, and a gorgeous victorian hanging bracket.
We religiously we cut all the dead out in April, and I still throw the old iron bits there, and of course I talk to Sam, for I am sure he is still here, because I was never a big gardener but I love it now.
What a long drawn out story just to give you the tip about the old Iron.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Re: Any Old Iron!

Yes, it's a very old fashioned way of getting iron into hydrangeas..they like a rusty nail or two I'm sure.
Bless Sam, I'm sure he was a great gardener and is very pleased with your efforts Arthur.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top