Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is offline
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3,990
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2021, 06:06 PM
21

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Is there any chance of keeping this thread on-topic?


Dyson Farming innovation extends British strawberry deal with first fruit of season picked this month from new hi-tech glasshouse

http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/...awberry-season
Banchory
Senior Member
Banchory is offline
Kent
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,207
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2021, 06:49 PM
22

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It would if they were indeed facts.
They're not - but naturally since you talk of bias you would rather believe the blatantly pro-EU BBC, wouldn't you?
It's not widely-known as the Brussels Broadcasting Corps for nothing you know.
I didn’t say I believed the BBC version only that their version of the story fact checked some of Dyson’s statements (which if no factual can only be fiction) and came to a different conclusion.
I’ve never heard of the BBC being called the Brussels Broadcasting Corps. An internet search brings up a book on Amazon. With a 2 star rating and two other obscure references so not “widely known” at all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brussels-Br.../dp/1906837945

The BBC should be impartial but bias is certainly possible. Whether it is Brussels orientated as you infer is open to debate, particularly with Tim Davie at the helm as he is certainly pro Brexit and there have been recent claims the BBC are burying Brexit bad news, so who’s to say that the bias is not pro Brexit?
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Chatterbox
Bread is offline
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 10,656
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2021, 07:14 PM
23

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
I didn’t say I believed the BBC version only that their version of the story fact checked some of Dyson’s statements (which if no factual can only be fiction) and came to a different conclusion.
I’ve never heard of the BBC being called the Brussels Broadcasting Corps. An internet search brings up a book on Amazon. With a 2 star rating and two other obscure references so not “widely known” at all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brussels-Br.../dp/1906837945

The BBC should be impartial but bias is certainly possible. Whether it is Brussels orientated as you infer is open to debate, particularly with Tim Davie at the helm as he is certainly pro Brexit and there have been recent claims the BBC are burying Brexit bad news, so who’s to say that the bias is not pro Brexit?

At least 52% of the country for a start
Banchory
Senior Member
Banchory is offline
Kent
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,207
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2021, 07:44 PM
24

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Originally Posted by Bread ->
At least 52% of the country for a start
Still making things up again I see.

However, in the highly unlikely event all those who voted for Brexit use that obscure term for the BBC it would by your terms of reference only amount to 37% of the country
OldGreyFox's Avatar
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
OldGreyFox is offline
South Yorkshire
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 21,202
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2021, 08:24 PM
25

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Still making things up again I see.

However, in the highly unlikely event all those who voted for Brexit use that obscure term for the BBC it would by your terms of reference only amount to 37% of the country
You only have to count the number of cancelled licence fees to understand how disgruntled the British public are with the BBC...And it will be a damn site more than 37%.....The BBC being biased and 'Woke' is practically mandatory....
Solasch's Avatar
Solasch
Chatterbox
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 8,963
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2021, 08:32 PM
26

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You only have to count the number of cancelled licence fees to understand how disgruntled the British public are with the BBC...And it will be a damn site more than 37%.....The BBC being biased and 'Woke' is practically mandatory....
That's because british don't like to pay? I almost couldn't believe your post, but there must be some truth in it, it was even televised years ago! https://youtu.be/B9tzoGFszog
Banchory
Senior Member
Banchory is offline
Kent
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,207
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
15-04-2021, 10:09 PM
27

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You only have to count the number of cancelled licence fees to understand how disgruntled the British public are with the BBC...And it will be a damn site more than 37%.....The BBC being biased and 'Woke' is practically mandatory....
Making up fantasy figures undermines your argument, yes there are those who don’t want to pay the licence fee, mostly because they subscribe to Netflix or a similar service.

The number of licences seems to be fairly constant over the last 10 years at 25.5 million and various estimates put those not paying to be between 2.5 and 3.5 million which at the top eng is about 12% of households

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/...d-figures-AB18
Omah's Avatar
Omah
Chatterbox
Omah is offline
Ludlow
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 10,147
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-04-2021, 10:02 AM
28

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-fix-tax-issue

Boris Johnson personally promised the entrepreneur James Dyson he would “fix” an issue over the tax status of his employees after he was directly lobbied by the entrepreneur, it has been reported. The BBC said it has seen a series of text messages between the two men after Sir James was unable to get the assurances he was seeking from the Treasury.

The exchanges took place in March last year at the start of the pandemic when the government was appealing to firms to supply ventilators amid fears the NHS could run out. The government said it was right to secure equipment for the NHS in “extraordinary times”, while Dyson said it was “absurd” to suggest his firm was doing anything other than seeking to comply with Treasury rules.

Dyson, whose firm is based in Singapore, wrote to the Treasury asking for an assurance that his staff would not have to pay additional tax if they came to the UK to work on the project. However, when he failed to receive a reply, the BBC said he took up the matter directly with the prime minister.

He said in a text that the firm was ready but that “sadly” it seemed no one wanted them to proceed.

Johnson replied: “I will fix it tomo! We need you. It looks fantastic.”

The prime minister then texted him again, saying: “[Chancellor Rishi [Sunak] says it is fixed!! We need you here.”

When Sir James sought further assurance, Johnson replied: “James, I am First Lord of the Treasury and you can take it that we are backing you to do what you need.”
Two weeks later, Sunak told the Commons Treasury committee that the tax status of people who came to the UK to provide specific help during the pandemic would not be affected.

A government spokesman said it was right to take action in “extraordinary times” to ensure the NHS had the equipment it needed.
The messages have come to light amid an ongoing row over lobbying in Westminster.

According to the ministerial code (as approved by Johnson in 2019) - a list of rules setting out the standards of conduct expected of ministers - "a private secretary or official should be present for all discussions relating to government business". And if a minister "finds themselves discussing official business without an official present" - such as at a social event or on holiday - "any significant content should be passed back to the department as soon as possible after the event". The code also says ministers "must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using the best evidence and without discrimination or bias" and that they should "act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner".
Of course, Tories and their supporters will say that the end justified the means but a line has to be drawn and the line is (supposedly) the ministerial code, drawn up to ensure "integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, honesty and leadership in the public interest" with "no misuse of process or procedure by any individual Minister" (BJ's words in quotes) .....
weedeek
Senior Member
weedeek is offline
Dumfries, Scotland
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 434
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-04-2021, 10:24 AM
29

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Is it any wonder that even the Scottish Tories don’t want Boris to venture North of the border during the Scottish elections, he’s toxic up here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 24,056
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-04-2021, 11:18 AM
30

Re: Brexit set free james dyson

Hi

I am no Tory supporter, in this instance however I think Boris did the right thing.

We, at the time, needed ventilators.

Dyson switched 450 of his engineers onto the job, bought some parts to build and the NHS then decided they didn't want them.

Dyson lost £20 million on the project.

Being quick saves lives, following every rule in the book and we end up like the EU, slow off the mark.

If there was any illegal contracts, then yes, should be looked into.

In this instance I think we did the right thing.
 
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.