Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Solasch's Avatar
Solasch
Chatterbox
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 8,963
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 06:25 PM
1

UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

It is understood there has been discreet pressure from the US for the UK to sort out*the diplomatic row*given the common threat posed to the west by China, Russia and other authoritarian states. It is seen as symptomatic of a wider inability of the EU and the UK to rebuild relations after Brexit. The US secretary of state, Tony Blinken, will attend the G7 talks in the UK, the first face-to-face diplomacy of any scale since the start of the Covid pandemic.

Asked about the diplomatic status of the EU ambassador, Raab said:
“We will treat our EU partners with all of the respect that they rightly deserve ... we’re looking forward to turning the page on the Brexit saga.”

The UK is still in dispute with the EU over implementation of the post-Brexit trade agreement, and has emphasised the joint work it is doing through the G7 and the E3 – the ad hoc group of France, Germany and the UK.
The EU says it has negotiated full diplomatic status with 140 other states. The symbolism, however, is seen in*Europe*as something deeper about the UK’s refusal to accept the role of the EU in representing 27 nation states.
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is offline
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3,990
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 06:31 PM
2

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
It is understood there has been discreet pressure from the US for the UK to sort out*the diplomatic row*given the common threat posed to the west by China, Russia and other authoritarian states. It is seen as symptomatic of a wider inability of the EU and the UK to rebuild relations after Brexit. The US secretary of state, Tony Blinken, will attend the G7 talks in the UK, the first face-to-face diplomacy of any scale since the start of the Covid pandemic.

Asked about the diplomatic status of the EU ambassador, Raab said:
“We will treat our EU partners with all of the respect that they rightly deserve ... we’re looking forward to turning the page on the Brexit saga.”

The UK is still in dispute with the EU over implementation of the post-Brexit trade agreement, and has emphasised the joint work it is doing through the G7 and the E3 – the ad hoc group of France, Germany and the UK.
The EU says it has negotiated full diplomatic status with 140 other states. The symbolism, however, is seen in*Europe*as something deeper about the UK’s refusal to accept the role of the EU in representing 27 nation states.

You either understand wrong or you're deliberately setting out to deceive others, and as usual you're out of touch.


"Britain has not made a final decision on whether to grant the European Union’s ambassador in London, Joao Vale de Almeida, full diplomatic status, Foreign Minister Dominic Raab said on Sunday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks...us-2021-05-02/
Solasch's Avatar
Solasch
Chatterbox
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 8,963
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 06:38 PM
3

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
You either understand wrong or you're deliberately setting out to deceive others, and as usual you're out of touch.


"Britain has not made a final decision on whether to grant the European Union’s ambassador in London, Joao Vale de Almeida, full diplomatic status, Foreign Minister Dominic Raab said on Sunday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks...us-2021-05-02/
UK hints it will give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Dominic Raab says he wants to turn page on Brexit saga and treat EU with respect it deserves https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-eu-ambassador
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is offline
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3,990
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 06:43 PM
4

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
UK hints it will give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Dominic Raab says he wants to turn page on Brexit saga and treat EU with respect it deserves https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-eu-ambassador
"Hints" is a very different thing to actually doing something.
Especially when you insist on reading that "hint" in a blatantly pro-EU publication.
Solasch's Avatar
Solasch
Chatterbox
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 8,963
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 06:44 PM
5

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
You either understand wrong or you're deliberately setting out to deceive others, and as usual you're out of touch.
;-
"the dog that caught the car and the car goes into reverse and runs over the dog."
An american describing brexit. The same american attends the G7. You better hope the EU ambassador has been granted that status before then...
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod
Senior Member
Zaphod is offline
Lincs UK
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3,990
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 06:48 PM
6

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
"the dog that caught the car and the car goes into reverse and runs over the dog."
An american describing brexit. The same american attends the G7. You better hope the EU ambassador has been granted that status before then...
"An american"?
Describing Brexit?
Oh well that's all right and we can all pack up and pay attention then, can't we!



You're getting more and more desperate with your anti-Brexit rubbish by the minute.
Americans can't get their own right.
When they can do that we might listen to what they say about politics.
d00d's Avatar
d00d
Chatterbox
d00d is offline
London, UK
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 7,525
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 08:12 PM
7

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

it's nice to be nice,

as they say in Ireland.

Solasch's Avatar
Solasch
Chatterbox
Solasch is offline
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 8,963
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 08:30 PM
8

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
"An american"?
Describing Brexit?

Oh well that's all right and we can all pack up and pay attention then, can't we!



You're getting more and more desperate with your anti-Brexit rubbish by the minute.
Americans can't get their own right.
When they can do that we might listen to what they say about politics.
He's referred to in the first post. The US secretary of state, Tony Blinken, will attend the G7 talks in the UK, the first face-to-face diplomacy of any scale since the start of the Covid pandemic.

Not bothered to read, in a hurry to post a response? It's not a game or a race to win. Is it?
Bread's Avatar
Bread
Chatterbox
Bread is offline
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 10,656
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 09:10 PM
9

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

And here we go back into the EU ....

The TCA is a gateway to BRINO


Tear it up now !
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9,088
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-05-2021, 11:26 PM
10

Re: UK to give full diplomatic status to EU ambassador

I think l know why all the petty diversions breaking out recently ??
Such as the golden wallpaper etc!
It's to take our minds off of the reunification lreland !!
Which appears to be underway ??
Get on with it l say !!

Donkeyman! 👍🤗🤗👍
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.