Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9,088
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-07-2021, 03:42 PM
1

New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Merkel hopes for good relationship with UK post brexit ??
Does that mean that brexit is not done yet in her view ?
Boris has been trying to convince us it was all done allready ?Do you
think she is worried about her exports to us ?
We have a deal allready?
So what can improve for them do you think ??
She only mentions relations between UK and Germany, ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9,088
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-07-2021, 05:05 PM
2

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Oh, lve just seen the. BBC coverage of Merkel in London today,
An she is going on about bi- lateral agreements between UK and
Germany?
I thought that was verbotten in the eu ??
Or so we're told in the " negotiations" !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Dachs
Senior Member
Dachs is offline
Germany
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 224
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-07-2021, 06:43 PM
3

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Oh, lve just seen the. BBC coverage of Merkel in London today,
An she is going on about bi- lateral agreements between UK and
Germany?
I thought that was verbotten in the eu ??
Or so we're told in the " negotiations" !

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
DM, you seem to be confusing trade policy, OTOH, and foreign and security policy on the other. In the latter, bilateral agreements are possible and make sense because they are in the interest of both parties.

Johnson knows that. That's why bilateral agreements with EU member states including Germany are part and parcel of his strategy of bypassing the EU.
The UK and Germany have some common interests in relation to Iran, Russia, China, Belarus, and in the Indo-Pacific region and it's also nice for the UK to have some partners in Europe. Why did the UK host the G7 summit and also welcomed Ursula vdL as well as Charles Michel?
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is offline
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 32,785
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-07-2021, 07:42 PM
4

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

I think the possibility of our making trade alliances with some individual EU members could be a good thing for us.

We know that the EU leaders hate us for leaving their 'empire' and especially the Frogs who I have proclaimed many times on here are our enemies and, if anyone is in any doubt about that, I invite them to open their eyes and look at what they have been saying and doing against us.

If we can make some individual deals or agreements with some EU countries on an individual basis, it would be on a one-to-one basis. There would be only the two of us to agree something to our mutual advantage and, hopefully, Boris would not fall for anything like his predecessors gave away.

It could, eventually, lead to the fall of the EU and get us back to how things once were: trade agreements without any political control by foreigners.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9,088
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-07-2021, 10:50 PM
5

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think the possibility of our making trade alliances with some individual EU members could be a good thing for us.

We know that the EU leaders hate us for leaving their 'empire' and especially the Frogs who I have proclaimed many times on here are our enemies and, if anyone is in any doubt about that, I invite them to open their eyes and look at what they have been saying and doing against us.

If we can make some individual deals or agreements with some EU countries on an individual basis, it would be on a one-to-one basis. There would be only the two of us to agree something to our mutual advantage and, hopefully, Boris would not fall for anything like his predecessors gave away.

It could, eventually, lead to the fall of the EU and get us back to how things once were: trade agreements without any political control by foreigners.

I agree with all the above JBR !
And from day one l expected that was what would happen !
Untill Barmier and Junker got started on their mission to punish
the British public for voting to leave ??
I just hope any deals we may get are not linked to us being committed to buying German products only??
But any deals we give to buy stuff are linked to reforming the
fishing arrangements !!
But only time will tell l suppose ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9,088
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
02-07-2021, 11:03 PM
6

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
DM, you seem to be confusing trade policy, OTOH, and foreign and security policy on the other. In the latter, bilateral agreements are possible and make sense because they are in the interest of both parties.

Johnson knows that. That's why bilateral agreements with EU member states including Germany are part and parcel of his strategy of bypassing the EU.
The UK and Germany have some common interests in relation to Iran, Russia, China, Belarus, and in the Indo-Pacific region and it's also nice for the UK to have some partners in Europe. Why did the UK host the G7 summit and also welcomed Ursula vdL as well as Charles Michel?
No l don't think l am confused Dachs!
Junker and Barnier both said several times that we cannot pick
cherries ??
These new statements seem to belie that ??
Maybe it won't happen, as Merkel is on the way out l believe ?
So a new face may think differently !
I believe that Barnier is looking for a new top post at the moment ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Dachs
Senior Member
Dachs is offline
Germany
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 224
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
03-07-2021, 04:56 AM
7

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
No l don't think l am confused Dachs!
Junker and Barnier both said several times that we cannot pick
cherries ??

These new statements seem to belie that ??
Maybe it won't happen, as Merkel is on the way out l believe ?
So a new face may think differently !
I believe that Barnier is looking for a new top post at the moment ?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
As far as trade agreement is concerned. Apart from that, what's wrong with bilateral agreements? They are no cherry-picking at all.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9,088
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
04-07-2021, 02:57 PM
8

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
As far as trade agreement is concerned. Apart from that, what's wrong with bilateral agreements? They are no cherry-picking at all.
So we agree Dachs !!
But what was Barnier on about then ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Dachs
Senior Member
Dachs is offline
Germany
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 224
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
04-07-2021, 05:54 PM
9

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
So we agree Dachs !!
But what was Barnier on about then ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Yes, we seem to. Don't know, however, why you mention Barnier? I didn't. I mentioned Charles Michel who was welcomed at the G7 summit.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 9,088
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
05-07-2021, 10:09 AM
10

Re: New chapter for German/ UK relations !!

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
Yes, we seem to. Don't know, however, why you mention Barnier? I didn't. I mentioned Charles Michel who was welcomed at the G7 summit.
I mention Barnier because he was the one who ,( with junker)
said there will be no hi lateral agreements,( cherry picking?)
But there will be only the one overall agreement,( the deal ?).
Where access to one item was linked to having to accept the
conditions imposed in another item ??
Obviously if trade was done bi laterally then there would be no
need for an EU commission would there? So maybe Barnier had
a vested interest in ensuring that did'nt happen !!
I really thought it would be better for us to leave with NO deal,
And that hi lateral agreements would follow gradually as the
different countries realised what was really at stake for them ??
Maybe that is what appears to be happening now??
We shall see ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.