Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 09:39 AM

More computer trouble

I have stuck with Windows 7 in spite of Microsoft withdrawing support.
Now I am having more problems. When I turn it on I get the message "Your computer was unable to start. Start up repair is checking your system"
This check up goes on for about fifteen minutes then I get a request to 'restore to an earlier date'
My computer is about twelve years old. Is it time I renewed?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Re: More computer trouble

Yep. Windows 7 stopped getting updates a few years ago. If you don't get updates your operating system will stop working eventually. Like yours has. Time to update.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Windows 7 should keep working even though MS is going to stop supporting it. Have you tried restoring to an earlier date?

12 years old is a good age for a computer. I'd consider getting a new one anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Windows 7 should keep working even though MS is going to stop supporting it. Have you tried restoring to an earlier date?

12 years old is a good age for a computer. I'd consider getting a new one anyway.
I think the problem is that if Ben buys a new one, he will end up with the dreaded Win10.

I agree though, a restore might do the trick.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 11:09 AM

I'm still getting Windows 7 updates, and some actually installed yesterday. Not getting updates does not stop your operating system working. Antiquated hard drives do (as does other ancient PC technology in general) and this may be the actual problem here.

I might install Windows 10 at some point, and have a disk in a drawer somewhere, but as per usual with Microsoft even at this point after it was released it is still not reliable. I reckon another year of cock-ups and emergency patches and I will bite the bullet.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Many thanks for your advice. I have been advised by a neighbour not to turn my computer off at night. This may prevent having to install all these updates that I get every time I turn it on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Many thanks for your advice. I have been advised by a neighbour not to turn my computer off at night. This may prevent having to install all these updates that I get every time I turn it on.

Ben, to my knowledge, you don't HAVE to install updates, you can alter the settings not do it automatically, and to always ask you first. You should also be able to only install 'Important' updates too.

Someone with a better technical brain that me can explain how.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 12:17 PM

I have stuck with Windows 7 in spite of Microsoft withdrawing support.
Now I am having more problems. When I turn it on I get the message "Your computer was unable to start. Start up repair is checking your system"
This check up goes on for about fifteen minutes then I get a request to 'restore to an earlier date'
My computer is about twelve years old. Is it time I renewed?

I'd start by trying to start up in Safe Mode.

If it will come up in safe mode it tells us a lot and gives us a fair chance of knowing what caused the problem.

Assuming that you can get on the web, look here:-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-57b79a358b8a
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 12:40 PM

As the computer boots, keep tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Using the up and down arrows on the keyboard, scroll down to the Last known good configuration line and press enter.

This is the equivalent of using the restore option after the PC has started up.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:16 PM

I too would restore at the moment .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top