Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Re: More computer trouble

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I'm still getting Windows 7 updates, and some actually installed yesterday. Not getting updates does not stop your operating system working. Antiquated hard drives do (as does other ancient PC technology in general) and this may be the actual problem here.

I might install Windows 10 at some point, and have a disk in a drawer somewhere, but as per usual with Microsoft even at this point after it was released it is still not reliable. I reckon another year of cock-ups and emergency patches and I will bite the bullet.
Just be aware that a lot of things may no longer work if you change to win10. You do not get Microsoft office for free for instance, OK if you still have the product key. Also Excel doesn't work.

Also, I believe the web cam is set to 'ON' by default, which means you could be recorded at any time. A good idea to cover it up if you don't use it.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:30 PM

I am on Windows 7 , my library has just changed all their computers and installed Windows 10.
All i wanted was to print an ebay return label this week .... I don't have my own printer It took the staff at least 15 minutes to figure how to do it .
I wasn't happy looking at the layout even and I don't want it !
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I have stuck with Windows 7 in spite of Microsoft withdrawing support.
Now I am having more problems. When I turn it on I get the message "Your computer was unable to start. Start up repair is checking your system"
This check up goes on for about fifteen minutes then I get a request to 'restore to an earlier date'
My computer is about twelve years old. Is it time I renewed?
Yes. Get a new one, they're as cheap as chips. A new W10 machine will run just like your old W7 was designed to. OK they can do a lot more like if you get a touch screen you can put W10 in tablet mode and you're dealing with a very different animal. You don't need that, just use it straight out of the box in classic mode.

In my experience, updating an old one can lead to problems.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I too would restore at the moment .
Restore only puts back the Registry to where it was when the restore point was created.

Any applications/programs installed since then would not be there.

It might even be the case that restore has long been turned off on this PC.

I would still go for a safe boot first..

If the OP can get the PC to work in Safe mode everything else should follow.

Added to that, I would look to see if I could put the Hard Drive into another PC and clean it up.

While it was out, I'd make a copy of it for safety sake.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I am on Windows 7 , my library has just changed all their computers and installed Windows 10.
All i wanted was to print an ebay return label this week .... I don't have my own printer It took the staff at least 15 minutes to figure how to do it .
I wasn't happy looking at the layout even and I don't want it !
For some reason, Microsoft have made the change over as difficult as they possibly could. I wouldn't mind if 10 was a massive improvement but it just isn't.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:43 PM

have you looked at you partitions ?

look at the middle row which is the "c" drive, the one the computer starts off with. Yours may be in a different position depending on how many HHD/SDD drives you have in your computer
You will see it is split into 3 sections ,the middle section is the one that the computer recognises to get your computer working. The last section is the backup part.

Now although adding windows 10 overwrites the middle section it then gets into conflict with the last back up section.

This I think is what your problem is, that last section (showing 477MB on my computer) needs to also be deleted. However i might be wrong, it is a long time since i upgraded and of course I am no computer expert so best to double check first with one.

But that is the area I think you need to look at, ie the partitions
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
have you looked at you partitions ?

look at the middle row which is the "c" dive, the one the computer starts off with.
You will see it is split into 2 sections ,the first section is the one that additing W10 on . However the computer then gets into conflict with the second half the "backup" for w7

So before adding w10 that second section needs deleting.

Or at least I think that is where your problem lies
Suggest go for Safe Boot first.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
He probably needs to be able to boot up to see that.

Hence, go for Safe Boot first.
can you alter that Ted you posted too quick when i noticed my error
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
can you alter that Ted you posted too quick when i noticed my error
Done realspeed.

big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Once again I would like to thank every one of you for your help and advice.
I have been advised to 'put my computer to sleep' at night instead of shutting down.
i did this by clicking the 'sleep' icon and it worked. I did as instructed and 'wobbled' the mouse this morning and everything was as I left it before retiring for the night. No freezing, No "Please wait while new upgrades are installed"

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top