Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 02:42 PM

Re: Windows 11 ?

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
They always will though Tabby! I feel that all the new windows are designed to encourage us to buy more.... so they are a bit like having double glazing salespeople knocking on your door every half hour!
Nothing official yet but it's thought/hoped that when the next version is released, it will be a free upgrade, like it was (is) from W.7 and W.8.

The last OS I actually paid for was Windows 7 Pro. There was no direct upgrade path from XP. I bought two copies for our computers on an advanced order. I think I paid about £32 each for them. Amazon sent the installation disks when they got them from Microsoft. Hard to think that was 12 years ago.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

13-06-2021, 02:54 PM

I'm not bothered with finding my way around a new system. It's just I don't see the need with one, with even more bloat, and I always turn off unnecessary inbuilt programs.
I used to be fairly computer savvy, have some very minor tech qualifications. I just lost interest with rebuilding things, or playing about with my desktops, etc.
I forgot everything I learned but will never be afraid of technology. It's just fluffing annoying the greed of some companies, as it can mean maybe buying better spec equipment etc.
I still have my ancient 18 year old desktop, rebuilt so many times, but I may take a hammer to.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:39 PM

I remember when W10 was new, it looked totally different, tiles & stuff coming out from the right side, nobody liked it, they wanted W7. So Classic Shell was the answer, or classic view as MS call it. If we can have W11 looking classic then I'll be happy.

I wouldn't say I don't like change but those tiles from righthand side is OTT.

We don't need to know anything else like our way around the PC, know where everything is. Just right click the Start button and search.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 08:53 PM

I won't be upgrading until I know all my programs will run on that platform.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 09:03 PM

I won't be upgrading either, not on this laptop, I don't mind if it's on my next one though. I sometimes think that the computer is designed around the original software, and the next computer will probably be twice the size of this one.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

14-06-2021, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I remember when W10 was new, it looked totally different, tiles & stuff coming out from the right side, nobody liked it, they wanted W7. So Classic Shell was the answer, or classic view as MS call it. If we can have W11 looking classic then I'll be happy.

I wouldn't say I don't like change but those tiles from righthand side is OTT.

We don't need to know anything else like our way around the PC, know where everything is. Just right click the Start button and search.
I remember c + and c++ programming, but I can't remember anything now, not that I really care these days.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 04:07 PM

Here is the announcement:-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 04:24 PM

Well, I'll guess that it won't be released in the UK anytime soon ..... maybe December/January .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 05:46 PM

Not all computers will run W.11. It requires a TPM chip on the motherboard. TPM might be present but disabled on some motherboards, in which case it will just need enabling. There's a app that can be downloaded to see if requirement are met. A link to it on the page that Tedc has linked to. Neither of my PCs meet requirements.

More here..

https://www.crn.com/news/application...for-windows-11
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Not all computers will run W.11. It requires a TPM chip on the motherboard. TPM might be present but disabled on some motherboards, in which case it will just need enabling. There's a app that can be downloaded to see if requirement are met. A link to it on the page that Tedc has linked to. Neither of my PCs meet requirements.

More here..

https://www.crn.com/news/application...for-windows-11
I've got TPM 2.0 on both new PCs.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top