Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 11:22 PM

Re: Street Photography

Yes, Meg it could be....women are made to feel vulnerable about a lot of things, so someone taking photos of us without permission also lands on that list.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yes, Meg it could be....women are made to feel vulnerable about a lot of things, so someone taking photos of us without permission also lands on that list.
....Pixie I think because women are more susceptible to 'stalkers ' and taking photographs without permission is something stalkers do, some women can feel uneasy about being photographed covertly.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
....Pixie I think because women are more susceptible to 'stalkers ' and taking photographs without permission is something stalkers do, some women can feel uneasy about being photographed covertly.

I agree, Meg. And perhaps some of these male photographers could consider that, instead of just thinking about what they want to do.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 11:56 PM

I think there might be a misconception about street photography. I have never done what I would consider a portrait type photo, it is always a group photo or a scenic that happens to have a person or people in it. This kind of thing.

or this

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think the shots are great but I do think it is an invasion of privacy.
Thats a good point, LD...I would hate to see myself randomly turning up on here, having being caught on camera without me knowing! I'd be furious, actually!
Originally Posted by Mups ->
We had thios discussion once before on here, and I do agree with you Pixie. I would be furious too - and worried. Worried at who had been creeping about taking my photo without my knowledge.

If I make this choice, I would not be a happy bunny if someone else took photos without my knowledge, and splattered them over the internet without my consent.
Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree with Pixie and Mups and find some photographs taken of people without their consent a bit creepy and bordering on the voyeuristic, perhaps it's a 'woman thing'.
Agreed .....

I think photographing strangers without consent because of some quality they possess - beauty, character, age, etc. - may start off as "interest" but could develop into "obsession" - it seems a patronising approach, implying that the photographer is "better" than he subject .....
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I often take candid photos. Usually they are not of people, but sometimes they are.

If I can see a person in public, then I see no issue with taking a photo of them. The event has happened in public.
I see it/them and remember it.
I see it/them and take a photo of of it/them.

I see no difference.

I would never photograph someone in their own home without their permission.
That's good because in the US that would be illegal. Only if someone is on public grounds they have no right of privacy expectation. If they see you and say raise their hand to cover their face, you have no right at that point to capture their image as they have expressed their wishes otherwise.
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
We had thios discussion once before on here, and I do agree with you Pixie. I would be furious too - and worried.
Worried at who had been creeping about taking my photo without my knowledge.

Some people on here post pictures of themselves quite often, but I choose not to.
If I make this choice, I would not be a happy bunny if someone else took photos without my knowledge, and splattered them over the internet without my consent.
These photos and more have been on the internet for about 5 years or more and never got a complaint. Even though I took down the Flickr account that had these on it. (I had 2.400 different images at the time not just people, in fact people make up an extremely small percentage of my pics). I took it down so I could start over, but I was very contactable.
Danny
Denver, CO

25-07-2021, 03:49 AM

[QUOTE=Mups;2136756]
Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I don't regard it as an invasion of privacy! Otherwise surely just looking at them is an invasion.
I have found the swivel screen handy as people expect you to be pointing at them to take a photo and you can have your back to them. It's also handy in that you can lift the camera above heads in a crowd.

I don't see how you can think that Ciderman.
The fact that the photographer doesn't think it's an invasion, is nothing to do with what the 'victim' feels.

As for saying - "just looking at them is an invasion" is really very silly, because 'looking at them' alone, does not publish their face on the internet, does it.
There is a world of difference.

Just pretend for a moment, that you stopped a stranger in the street and asked them if you could photograph them and put it on the internet. What do you imagine the majority would say?
I think the majority would tell you in no uncertain terms where to go.
Yet people think it is just fine to do it without even asking.

Celebs are used to it, and if it is flattering, they welcome it, but how many ordinary folks want it do you think?

How would you feel if a friend told you your picture was on the internet tomorrow and you didn't even know?

I did this, stop random people and ask if I could take their picture, I was practicing portraiture. All most everyone I asked agreed. I think I had maybe 5 out of 100, say NO Thank You.
https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...for-portraits/
It was an exercise on Digital Photography School to go up to complete strangers and ask to take their photo. Helps you build confidence and become more comfortable taking strangers pictures.
Danny
Denver, CO

25-07-2021, 03:51 AM

See, even this makes me uncomfortable, because the very fact you are swivelling the screen so it LOOKS like you aren't taking their picture, is a bit odd, in my opinion.
As soon as someone knows their photo is being taken, they act differently. OH, let me fix my hair, look this way?, should I smile. It ruins what you are trying to accomplish which is to catch people as they truly are.
Danny
Denver, CO

25-07-2021, 03:59 AM

If you truly think of it as an invasion of privacy then you had better become a shut in. As I said in the beginning your photo is taken daily multiple times, and with the advent of cellphones, how many pictures have you wound up in the background of without knowing. There are literally cameras everywhere in our world today. It's not like we're turning people into unwilling celebrities' if my photos had that power, I would be making a great deal of money. I have had people ask me to email them copies of the photo, but that's about it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top