Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Re: Eyesight

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Would laser treatment sort out both distance and reading issues at the same time I wonder (i.e. long and short sightedness)?
I did wonder that myself. I really don't know, be interesting if someone knows
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 07:08 PM

The worst thing is when it's sunny outside and you want to read a book. You need to sunglasses to shade the light but also need the glasses for reading, so I may end up with four different pairs of specs at this rate. How are you supposed to keep changing them all the time every time you do something different? It's annoying.
I agree. I wear sunglasses and a baseball cap with a large bill as protection.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I agree. I wear sunglasses and a baseball cap with a large bill as protection.
Besoeker, earlier...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:45 PM

Besoeker, earlier...
My kit...

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:59 PM

I have short sight and long sight. It's a really rubbish combination if you can't get used to varifocals. I have office glasses for meetings at work and reading on the train. Office glasses are basically in between varifocals and reading glasses. I'd recommend them to those with the same vision issues who want to read without being totally blind when walking around the house etc. You can see the tv with the top part of the lens and read really well with the bottom half. So if I am in a meeting I can pop these on and see people around me and also see the small print on whatever papers I have.

I worked with someone who had laser surgery for short sight. She ended up having all sorts of problems and wearing glasses after.

I used to have those narrow frames where I could pop big regular sunglasses over them. But last year I bought some of those trendy bigger frames (albeit in the "teen" section) and have some nice prescription sunnies, but if I were reading in the sun I'd wear a peaked cap like Besoeker with my office glasses.

It's really annoying though to need reading glasses. What's even more annoying is that nobody in my family has/had short sight. I blame VDUs in the late 80s and computer work. Or maybe as we were told sitting right in front of the telly as a child ruins your eyes.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have short sight and long sight. It's a really rubbish combination if you can't get used to varifocals. I have office glasses for meetings at work and reading on the train. Office glasses are basically in between varifocals and reading glasses. I'd recommend them to those with the same vision issues who want to read without being totally blind when walking around the house etc. You can see the tv with the top part of the lens and read really well with the bottom half. So if I am in a meeting I can pop these on and see people around me and also see the small print on whatever papers I have.

I worked with someone who had laser surgery for short sight. She ended up having all sorts of problems and wearing glasses after.

I used to have those narrow frames where I could pop big regular sunglasses over them. But last year I bought some of those trendy bigger frames (albeit in the "teen" section) and have some nice prescription sunnies, but if I were reading in the sun I'd wear a peaked cap like Besoeker with my office glasses.

It's really annoying though to need reading glasses. What's even more annoying is that nobody in my family has/had short sight. I blame VDUs in the late 80s and computer work. Or maybe as we were told sitting right in front of the telly as a child ruins your eyes.....
I also have one eye long sighted and the other short sighted and have worn varifocals for years, I wouldn't want anything else. I have varifocal sunglasses as well which are perfect for those really sunny days.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am dreading the time when they say my cataracts need sorting, so far I am lucky & they aren't bad enough to do & as I don't drive to me they aren't a problem, yet.
I had a cataract removed from my left eye last year, and had the operation done under local anaesthetic (although general anaesthetic is an option).

The operation took only about 20 minutes, there was no pain whatsoever, and I had absolutely no problems afterwards.

So there is really nothing to dread!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:41 PM

Would laser treatment sort out both distance and reading issues at the same time I wonder (i.e. long and short sightedness)?
As far as I know, the answer is no.

As others have said before, though, I wouldn't dream of having laser treatment on my eyes. It could irreparably damage your eyes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-06-2019, 11:42 PM

Besoeker, earlier...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top