Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Re: Best and worst about humans

Best part is being able to fart, and let everyone around you get the benefit if they didn't hear it
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
They say when there is a disaster its seen that humans help each other more , I wonder why that is , could it be the shock and realisation they are spared , an interesting thought as in normal day to day life most are in it totally for themselves

I have a friend who lacks empathy and understanding , she says she has non at all other than for herself , yet she is not unkind or cold just not interested and cant feel it

I may be wrong with this knowledge but I believe the north American Indians would put out their old parents into the cold to die as when too old the young didn't want to look after them . Someone correct me if I'm wrong and dreamed this . ( I saw it in a film years ago ) if true it seems immensely cruel and inhuman
It wasn't as inhumane as you think.

Look at the context. Limited resources.
Those resources depend on the ability of people to be able to find them.

The survival of the tribe is paramount.
The new generations are the future of the tribe.

If an old (or sick) person is incapable of contributing to the survival of the tribe, decisions have to be made as to how any limited resources are distributed amongst the tribe.

If an old person loses the sons/grandsons etc. that can bring the meat to the table, (e.g. in a battle with other tribes, or an accident), how will they survive?
Would they put themselves before their grandchildren? No.

So, as I understand it, it was more a willingness for self-sacrifice, to go out into the cold and not come back, rather than being 'put' out there.

A bit like Oates leaving the tent and saying that he 'would be some time''.

As I understand it, the decision of the old person was regretted by the family, and mourned, but understood for what it was...a gift .

Like so many things to do with other cultures, a lot is taken out of context of the times, the travails and the mindsets involved.

Are there any North Americans out there that can enlighten us?

(However, there was a time, once, several years ago, when putting a recalcitrant old so-and-so out into the snow looked extremely attractive! )
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:07 AM

What does "deleted off topic" mean?.I mean I can see what it means literally, but who decides what is "off topic" ?..and who deletes it? Feels a bit "1984" ?? But..maybe that comment is "off topic" and will get deleted. But moving right along. I am not North American. Aussie born and bred. But I have lived in California and I learned a little about the Hopi Indian culture. THeir "religious" people are actually clowns. They are called Kachina. The Kachina are very powerful socially and when they are around they are given great respect. They often officiate at funerals and their behaviour is very unpredictable. They may show great reverence to the deceased. Or they may decide to get intoxicated on peyote or something similar and throw the body off the roof of a house. Either way the crowd has to accept what happens without question. They can be just as unpredictable in how they treat everyone else. Including the elderly. Read more in "Millenial" by David Maybury Lewis
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
What does "deleted off topic" mean?.I mean I can see what it means literally, but who decides what is "off topic" ?..and who deletes it? Feels a bit "1984" ?? But..maybe that comment is "off topic" and will get deleted.
Sorry keezoy,..I started talking about myself,..didn't want to upset anyone,so deleted,..I will probably ask you that question on another thread,...your insight really speaks to me,I love it.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Hey Pauline you are so welcome! Nothing say sorry for. I thought someone else was overseeing it. Anyway I just added the above. This guy is amazing. I can tell you more of you like.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I have a friend who lacks empathy and understanding , she says she has non at all other than for herself , yet she is not unkind or cold just not interested and cant feel it

Hmm..That's a really interesting thing. Many say that people who lack any empathy or ability to imagine how their actions may hurt others are "sociopathic" or even "psychopathic"..Inverted commas because those terms are so abused they may as well be colloquial. But does that automatically mean they are malevolent?. That they lack any kind of moral compass? That lady seems to prove the contrary. Look at Dr Spock in Star Trek. He has no emotions at all. BUt he derives his code of ethical behaviour from a long string of logic which tells him that it is self evidently good and useful to treat others well.
Hi keezoy, yes the lady I know would help IF asked , she would do what was needed then walk back into her life , as I said not unkind but cant understand hurt ,pain or feelings. Yet her life has been hell so she knows suffering
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=Pyxell;1731943]It wasn't as inhumane as you think.

Look at the context. Limited resources.
Those resources depend on the ability of people to be able to find them.

The survival of the tribe is paramount.
The new generations are the future of the tribe.

If an old (or sick) person is incapable of contributing to the survival of the tribe, decisions have to be made as to how any limited resources are distributed amongst the tribe.

If an old person loses the sons/grandsons etc. that can bring the meat to the table, (e.g. in a battle with other tribes, or an accident), how will they survive?
Would they put themselves before their grandchildren? No.

So, as I understand it, it was more a willingness for self-sacrifice, to go out into the cold and not come back, rather than being 'put' out there.

A bit like Oates leaving the tent and saying that he 'would be some time''.

As I understand it, the decision of the old person was regretted by the family, and mourned, but understood for what it was...a gift .

Like so many things to do with other cultures, a lot is taken out of context of the times, the travails and the mindsets involved.
Are there any North Americans out there that can enlighten us?

Hi pyxell , it's interesting isn't it , as you say the old person would have done it to themselves rather than take food or resources from their children .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 10:43 AM

Everybody is different though most of us play by certain guidelines of what is expected to be 'human' and adhere to the rules and regulations of blending in with others.
What sets us apart is our personalities. We are naturally attracted to those who we get along with and keep our distance from those whom we don't trust.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Best in Humans:

Compassion, empathy, unselfish behaviour, unconditional love.

Worst in humans:

Greed, anger, selfishness, enjoyment in others misfortunes, ability to kill for enjoyment (humans or other animals)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
everybody is different though most of us play by certain guidelines of what is expected to be 'human' and adhere to the rules and regulations of blending in with others.
What sets us apart is our personalities. We are naturally attracted to those who we get along with and keep our distance from those whom we don't trust.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top