Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Cars and Servicing

Is it always essential to get your car serviced as soon as it is due. It is very tempting to let it go a bit longer before booking it into the garage.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Re: Cars and Servicing

I think one is sensible to get one's car serviced when due. Regular servicing is a condition of my car insurance anyway.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Depends on how many miles you have done since last service. Presumably you check oil and water on a regular basis. I usually have mine serviced every 12 months but as have not done many miles in one of the cars this year am hanging on a few more months but definitely before winter bites.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Currently have my car serviced on the due date cos it is still under warranty but when it is out of warranty I will stretch the servicing times cos I don't do high mileage
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2010, 04:07 PM

I personally go by mileage - as I don't do much I get it serviced once a year - tho check water, oil etc myself. Sometimes I change the plugs and filter myself too
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 08:37 AM

If a car is not used much it needs servicing just the same.

A car driven everyday keeps moving parts free but wear and tear takes place.

A car driven very little allows the Oil and Grease viscosity to change and solidify creating gunge, moving parts will tend to oxidise and rust up and fabric type drive belts will perish quicker due to them not being allowed to flex.

Sorry folks but car maintenance is required just as much if not more when a car is not used much.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Don't have one, never will have one!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
If a car is not used much it needs servicing just the same.

A car driven everyday keeps moving parts free but wear and tear takes place.

A car driven very little allows the Oil and Grease viscosity to change and solidify creating gunge, moving parts will tend to oxidise and rust up and fabric type drive belts will perish quicker due to them not being allowed to flex.

Sorry folks but car maintenance is required just as much if not more when a car is not used much.
I agree. A badly maintained car is a dangerous one. I don't think your MOT should be renewed unless you have evidence it has been serviced during the year.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks everyone - I'd better get it done then (it keeps pinging at me every time I use it). Dancing Sky -
I didn't know some insurance policies were conditional on having the car serviced. I am with E-sure and I don't think there is anything in their policies.
AntibrownThank you for the good information - you have succeeded in scaring me into getting it done

I must admit I just regard cars as a convenience and I really have no interest at all in them as long as they keep going and don't cost too much I think I would be lost without one though as I can get so much more done in a day with a car and I carry so much stuff around I don't think I could manage without at the moment.
Dancingsky
None

08-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Thanks everyone - I'd better get it done then (it keeps pinging at me every time I use it). Dancing Sky -
I didn't know some insurance policies were conditional on having the car serviced. I am with E-sure and I don't think there is anything in their policies.
AntibrownThank you for the good information - you have succeeded in scaring me into getting it done

I must admit I just regard cars as a convenience and I really have no interest at all in them as long as they keep going and don't cost too much
When renewing my insurance with Saga, I had to confirm I had my car regularly serviced, I don't have a problem with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top