Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 06:37 PM

Re: Taking workplace pension at 55

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
One of the few perks of working nights is the quietness of the roads. I'll be meeting with the Pensions guy at my place nearer the time, plus HR to find out if I can get a similar job on days
Good Luck with that.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 07:15 PM

I took one of my pensions early (all of it, not just the lump sum that was on offer).

I had 2 work pensions, neither of them are worth a huge amount as I was only in the respective jobs for 7 years each.

The Royal Mail one paid out when I reached 60 (I could have deferred but chose not to) and included a modest lump sum and a small pension.

The other one wasn't due til I reached 65 but I took it anyway, along with a virtually identical lump sum to the other one.

These 2 together each month plus the widow's pension I get (again, not a huge amount but good enough) is nearly enough to keep me afloat. I run at about a £30 per month deficit.

The 2 lump sums I got are more than enough to make up the deficit that I run at and the bonus being they are in high interest accounts so are working as hard as they can.

I decided (on a whim really) that I didn't want to be a wage slave anymore and was chuffed when it all worked out so well.

I still have my state pension to come when I reach 66.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Right okay you boastful, ego-driven wimp. Tell you what, we'll ignore each other from now on shall we?
At least that way I won't have to suffer your tedious posts anymore. You ruin everybody's threads. Plus, it will give the mods a break from your constant whining.
Wimp?

Tell me who were these comments aimed at, your post 5th Jan:

Originally Posted by Floydy
The internet bore/manipulator/blatant liar is the kind of character trait I cannot abide personally.
There is only one.
They will be found.
A username is not a permanent cloak for their cowardice.
Care to say, or is it the case that YOU are the wimp?!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 08:18 PM

****Please keep personal bickering and arguments off the forums, any further off topic posts will be deleted. Thank you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I decided (on a whim really) that I didn't want to be a wage slave anymore and was chuffed when it all worked out so well.

I still have my state pension to come when I reach 66.
I'm totally with you Nicol. That's why I left my career too. More to life than sitting in an office and working for talentless management and seeing the country pretty much flatline people's salaries whilst inflation rises.

My pension is indexed linked so goes up with inflation. Like you I will also have the State pension in later years. Luckily, my pension includes a bonus equivalent to that State pension until it comes in.

It felt nervy just walking away from work but I have never looked back. You can't put a price on personal freedom.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

It felt nervy just walking away from work but I have never looked back. You can't put a price on personal freedom.
I did too, I kept putting off making the final decision even though I knew I could more than manage financially.

But on the 21st August 2017 I walked into work, looked around me and thought "You know what? I don't want to do this anymore". I put my notice in there and then and, like you, I haven't looked back.

Floydy, as long as you do your sums and are sure you'll be able to manage on your pension(s) (minus the lump sum you take out) when you retire you should be fine.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I'm totally with you Nicol. That's why I left my career too. More to life than sitting in an office and working for talentless management and seeing the country pretty much flatline people's salaries whilst inflation rises.

My pension is indexed linked so goes up with inflation. Like you I will also have the State pension in later years. Luckily, my pension includes a bonus equivalent to that State pension until it comes in.

I'm jealous, I so wish I could afford to take early retirement, I didn't use my noggin when I was younger and I'm really regretting that now

I'm still only 58 years old but I am so tired and drained trying to work full time and take care of a mentally challenged son and my 85 year old dad, I would so like to retire to free up some time.
Nicol
South east of England

22-01-2019, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm jealous, I so wish I could afford to take early retirement, I didn't use my noggin when I was younger and I'm really regretting that now

I'm still only 58 years old but I am so tired and drained trying to work full time and take care of a mentally challenged son and my 85 year old dad, I would so like to retire to free up some time.
LQ......I'm only as financially secure as I am because my husband died...if he was still alive he'd be retiring next month, aged 60, when the mortgage would have been paid off. I would still have carried on working.

My 2 work pensions, I didn't go into them by choice, they were statutory. And the widow's pension speaks for itself In my last job, which I was in for 14 years, I didn't pay into a pension at all.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2019, 09:12 PM

LQ......I'm only as financially secure as I am because my husband died...if he was still alive he'd be retiring next month, aged 60, when the mortgage would have been paid off. I would still have carried on working.

My 2 work pensions, I didn't go into them by choice, they were statutory. And the widow's pension speaks for itself In my last job, which I was in for 14 years, I didn't pay into a pension at all.
I m so sorry you lost your husband Nic, far too young (hugs) xxx
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

22-01-2019, 09:31 PM

The Royal Mail one paid out when I reached 60 I still have my state pension to come when I reach 66.
Out of interest which part of Royal Mail did you work in?

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top