Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Re: The cost of new technology in modern cars

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Don't tell me that if you change the battery you have to have an 'expert' reset the computer and God knows what else!
I will find out in due course and let you know. Watch this space!
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Just had my GT86 recalled by Toyota

The valve springs need changing I ran my local Toyota dealer very nice lady said she would have to call me back and did in about ten minutes this recall free of charge requires at least 25 parts so they have to get them all in before they can do the work it will take at least 3 days

I asked if there would be a curtesy car (this is Spain) yes sir of course right answer so now we will see how good they are

Evidently if one of these springs goes the car will not start computer shuts down
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Just had my GT86 recalled by Toyota

The valve springs need changing I ran my local Toyota dealer very nice lady said she would have to call me back and did in about ten minutes this recall free of charge requires at least 25 parts so they have to get them all in before they can do the work it will take at least 3 days

I asked if there would be a curtesy car (this is Spain) yes sir of course right answer so now we will see how good they are

Evidently if one of these springs goes the car will not start computer shuts down

It’s a little more serious than the car failing to start as dropping a valve or few usually ends in cracked head , scored bores , broken pistons just for starters

The problem in some of the engines affects the valve springs, and can cause the valve to fracture and break, possibly falling into the combustion chamber, leading to massive engine damage.

https://youtu.be/kDWnxpiNW7Y
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
It’s a little more serious than the car failing to start as dropping a valve or few usually ends in cracked head , scored bores , broken pistons just for starters

The problem in some of the engines affects the valve springs, and can cause the valve to fracture and break, possibly falling into the combustion chamber, leading to massive engine damage.
That reminds me of the last service at the main dealer's on my VW Golf, an intermediate service so the smallest. The cost of that initially was £189 plus £30 for a MoT (special deal if booked with a service) so £219 in total then plus £12.50 to put my name on the insurance for the courtesy car. OK, they have to be MoT'd and serviced even though the service was applicable to a higher mileage car, probably 60,000, mine has only covered 17,000 miles.

A week later, before the car went in a phone call from the service department. Just to say that 'they had noticed' my car is now five years' old so the timing belt would need replacing, usually at 140,000 miles or five years' old, the cost of that – £459. Then I was informed at every other MoT the brake fluid should be replaced. "How much is that?" Back came "it's £69."

So a basic intermediate service for £189 had become £759! I disputed the need for a new timing belt at such low mileage and was informed that "they are perishable, that's why it's recommended." "Odd that is" I remarked. "I also have a six-cylinder car in my garage that is 35 years' old, it has done 163,000 miles and has the original timing belt, I know that as the car was bought new by me and I serviced it." They then recorded on the car's file that I had declined the new timing belt and change of brake fluid.

The car hasn't even had a new tyre yet, they still have between 5mm (fronts) and 7mm (rears) tread depth, according to the MoT!

Do they think 'I came up on the last banana boat' or 'do I look that stupid or something?' springs to mind!
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 07:22 PM

A few years ago ( long story as was having lunch with a friend going through divorce and she had kept her Bentley GT ) when she asks , are brake pads expensive ? Not really I replied , why ?
Well the car was in for a service yesterday and they called to say the brake pads will need replacing shortly , shall we do them now whilst it’s here ? So I said yes, then when I collected the car .... this added £800 to her bill !!!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 07:25 PM

I would always think twice about getting any repairs done at a main dealers. They are all crooks whatever the make.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would always think twice about getting any repairs done at a main dealers. They are all crooks whatever the make.
That's true.

When ours is out of warranty, we'll either replace it (with a pre-reg) or have services done at an independent garage.

Our two old cars (Mazda and Skoda) have been serviced at a local garage for years and at very reasonable rates.
Baz46

13-03-2019, 07:47 PM

That's true.

When ours is out of warranty, we'll either replace it (with a pre-reg) or have services done at an independent garage.

Our two old cars (Mazda and Skoda) have been serviced at a local garage for years and at very reasonable rates.
With the main dealer charging £90 an hour (now increased) it's so much less expensive at the village garage – £50 an hour, which is great for anything mechanical. They have a very good reputation but what they cannot do though is get into the VW database to update the car's onboard computer or do anything in that area warranting a recall. It will come up on their screen or at the MoT which they also carry out but that is all. I have yet to find out if the VW dealer is obliged to carry out this kind of update or recall free of charge, I doubt it somehow!

While waiting for my car when it was ready the other week after the service, I overheard two different customers state "no thanks, that's just too expensive, I will go elsewhere." I reckon main dealers are just rip-off merchants or 'crooks' as Longdogs states.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
With the main dealer charging £90 an hour (now increased) it's so much less expensive at the village garage – £50 an hour, which is great for anything mechanical. They have a very good reputation but what they cannot do though is get into the VW database to update the car's onboard computer or do anything in that area warranting a recall. It will come up on their screen or at the MoT which they also carry out but that is all. I have yet to find out if the VW dealer is obliged to carry out this kind of update or recall free of charge, I doubt it somehow!

While waiting for my car when it was ready the other week after the service, I overheard two different customers state "no thanks, that's just too expensive, I will go elsewhere." I reckon main dealers are just rip-off merchants or 'crooks' as Longdogs states.
Surely, if the manufacturer has issued a recall, it would refer to something wrong with the model that needs attention.

If that 'something wrong' can be shown to have been present since manufacture, I would have thought that it could be described as a manufacturing fault which would legally be their responsibility.
Baz46

13-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Surely, if the manufacturer has issued a recall, it would refer to something wrong with the model that needs attention.

If that 'something wrong' can be shown to have been present since manufacture, I would have thought that it could be described as a manufacturing fault which would legally be their responsibility.
Yes, I would have though that too and it's something I have to clarify, either with the main dealer or VW Customer Services. All I do know is the local village garage told me they can undertake anything mechanical but they cannot get into the VW database for any upgrades or recalls. My own car has had one upgrade at the VW main dealer and that was for the brakes. No idea what it was but with everything being controlled by the onboard computer it could have been something really important so cannot be ignored.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top