Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Re: Should we be retrained?

Originally Posted by DaveyJ ->
If people on here think they need to retrain every five years, then I am amazed. The people on the roads I worry about are other drivers as their driving is appalling, ill-mannered, inconsiderate and lacks any anticipation, and they are not old.
Most old drivers who are poor drivers have been poor drivers all their lives I suspect and are not bad drivers because they are old.
This mornings news 63% ? of MPs think older drivers should be retested .. Bring it on I say, come around in the morning and test me with with pleasure.
AND..... If you don't pass? Then what?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:48 PM

No way I could drive for two hours, I only do short trips!
DaveyJ
South Coast England
DaveyJ is male  DaveyJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
AND..... If you don't pass? Then what?
No, AND about it, I would pass with total certainty I am that confident. 100% total certainty and why should I feel otherwise. They can take me where they like, motorway, through London or around a Race Track, bring it on.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 10:10 PM

The thing is
I’ve just had to renew my gas certificate, I have to do it every 5 years, we all know gas can be lethal, why do people not have to refresh their driving ?, after all a car can be lethal too!,
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 10:13 PM

Designed for drivers aged 60 and over

Don't they know 60 is the new 40? I'd say the person who overtook me on a blind bend today was in his 20s and deffinitely needed retraining.
DaveyJ
South Coast England
DaveyJ is male  DaveyJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The thing is
I’ve just had to renew my gas certificate, I have to do it every 5 years, we all know gas can be lethal, why do people not have to refresh their driving ?, after all a car can be lethal too!,
Because fresh out of Uni jobsworths sit all day thinking, what new stupid reg can we introduce this week regarding gas fitting to justify our existence?
Driving a car is driving a car, you just as a result of use gain learned experience and get better. If a person has doubts about their driving skills to the extent that they need retesting then I suggest they have driving problems they worry about. End of the day do you want a walking test every five years?
Also this morning they said, old people are more likely to die in a car crash, brilliant what brains they have, then an old person is more likely to die if he trips over in the street. End of the day if an older person knows he is more likely to die of injuries than a young person that is his choice, it is not a driving ability problem.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 10:56 PM

An older driver is less likely to deliberately take risks, such as overtaking on a blind bend (then being stopped at the next traffic lights).
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 12:13 AM

Everyone thinks they are above average

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/everyon...above-average/

Drivers consistently rate themselves as better than average -- even when a test of their hazard perception reveals them to be below par, said Mark Horswill, a psychologist at the University of Queensland in Australia.

"You find it across all ages, you find it among novice drivers, and you find it among drivers over age 65," Horswill told LiveScience.

Because even the worst driver may by chance avoid an accident, people are more likely to overestimate skills like that than concrete skills like chess or tennis, where the incompetent are trounced quickly, Horswill said.

But in a strange twist, the most incompetent are also the most likely to overestimate their skills, while the ace performers are more likely to underrate themselves, because if they find a skill easy they assume other people do too, he said.
I believe the technical term is "illusory superiority" .....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Intentionally bad drivers can up their game, and behave properly under test conditions, don't mean anything will change, the day after the test.
DaveyJ
South Coast England

20-04-2019, 08:04 PM

Who knows that you should not park opposite or within 10 metres of a road junction, as looking around these parts it would seem nobody does and if the wardens walked around for one day they could generate thousands of pounds from tickets.
Then who knows the coloured light changing sequence for the following.
Pelican Crossings
Toucan Crossings
Puffin Crossings
Zebra Crossings.

What some not even heard of them, let alone how the lights change. Then have they ever known, young or old in years.

Braking distances are better they have not changed since the days of the old Austin 7, so chances are your new Porche will accelerate to 70mph and stop in the distance required. Never get it anyway learning such stuff, oh I must measure 315ft to stop in.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top