Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 08:13 AM

Fingerprint Access

Near the end of my last phone's life I tried out using fingerprint recognition access rather than a PIN or a password. Previously I knew it was available but couldn't be bothered with it.

In the event I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. So much so that I tried it on my laptop and it worked even better.

My new phone, an Huawei, is much better than the old Samsung S7, the latter occasionally refusing access until I entered the password. My laptop and Huawei have never failed to recognise my fingerprint.

I thought perhaps it was too good to be true so I have tested them both with different fingers and other people's but they seem 100% accurate in recognising my social finger only.and it is a comfort knowing my fingerprint is probably safely stored somewhere in Beijing. I am very pleased with it.

Have you tried this type of security on your phone or computer? How did it fare on your device?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Re: Fingerprint Access

My Motorola G7 has the fingerprint option, which I use. Recently, my online banking app offered the facility and I've started using that, too.

The PIN option remains available.

No problems with either.

The phone also has a face and voice recognition functions.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Near the end of my last phone's life I tried out using fingerprint recognition access rather than a PIN or a password. Previously I knew it was available but couldn't be bothered with it.

In the event I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. So much so that I tried it on my laptop and it worked even better.

My new phone, an Huawei, is much better than the old Samsung S7, the latter occasionally refusing access until I entered the password. My laptop and Huawei have never failed to recognise my fingerprint.

I thought perhaps it was too good to be true so I have tested them both with different fingers and other people's but they seem 100% accurate in recognising my social finger only.and it is a comfort knowing my fingerprint is probably safely stored somewhere in Beijing. I am very pleased with it.

Have you tried this type of security on your phone or computer? How did it fare on your device?
Are you joking Bruce?..I wouldn't want anything about me stored in Beijing.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Voluntary fingerprinting. No thanks.

Imagine the police set up a stall in town and ask passersby, "can we take and record your fingerprints please?"

I feel sure there wouldn't be many takers

But give them a smart phone and they blindly think it's somehow different ! Go figure !

#baggedandtagged
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 12:30 PM

My phone also has FP recognition but once in a while you also have to enter a PIN number for extra security. FP is an excellent system by and large (provided you keep your fingertips clean ).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Imagine the police set up a stall in town and ask passersby, "can we take and record your fingerprints please?"

But give them a smart phone and they blindly think it's somehow different ! Go figure !

#baggedandtagged
God you're a misery and obvoiusly totally ignorant of capacitive scanning.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 01:58 PM

#baggedandtagged
I take it that you never travel outside the UK then as fingerprinting has been a requirement for passports since 2006.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
I take it that you never travel outside the UK then as fingerprinting has been a requirement for passports since 2006.
Ah, what you've done there is added 2 + 2 and gotten 5 !

What that legislation actually means is not that I haven't travelled outside the UK, but simply that like millions of other people, I haven't needed to renew my passport in the last few years.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Ah, what you've done there is added 2 + 2 and gotten 5 !

What that legislation actually means is not that I haven't travelled outside the UK, but simply that like millions of other people, I haven't needed to renew my passport in the last few years.
In case you are not aware, today is 16 July 2019. Your passport must be have been invalid for at least 3 years!

Not been anywhere for the last three years and not going anywhere ever again then “Realist”. Better change your handle to something more appropriate.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Maybe it's just me but I still like to use the 4 number pin option. Don't ask why cause I don't know. But on any phone if a pin option is there then that's what I'll use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top