Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Re: Humans (And Other Animals)Taking Sides, Making Alliances, or Sitting on the Fence

Originally Posted by mazzie ->

Personally, I've never felt the need to be with the crowd........I do things because I want to do them, not because everyone else is doing them. I think it makes life so much easier if you stand alone and make your own decisions instead of going with the flow and doing what you think other people expect of you. Be independent, do your own thing and then if it goes wrong you have no-one to blame but yourself.
Me too. I've never been one to follow the crowd, and in fact tend to do my own thing most of the time.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Re: Humans (And Other Animals)Taking Sides, Making Alliances, or Sitting on the Fence

[QUOTE=Jonsey;206904]I must be the odd one out, I am NOT a herd animal, much prefering to stand on my own two feet and defend my corner.

Not sure that makes you the odd one out, Jonsey, as it seems the majority of posts before yours are also claiming not to be a herd animal.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

05-08-2012, 03:59 PM

They also say they sit on fence lines -- don't / won't/ can't, state their opinions for fear of repisals / arguements / offending/ whatever, that is NOT my interpreptation of standing alone, that is one of appeasement.In my humble opinion of course.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 04:06 PM

Maybe I've got it wrong here but I thought we were talking about real life here and not forum life.
Real or forum life, whatever anyone thinks is relevant Mazzie. I was thinking of any type of situation we may find ourselves in. I suppose forums are now part of our lives as well but I wasn't thinking specifically one or the other.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 04:07 PM

You cant surely say how it is , and sit on the fence, its one or the other, and as for not speaking your mind isnt this what Forums are about.Yes its a good idea having a place for people who want to upset others and be rude even but I shant go on it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Maybe I've got it wrong here but I thought we were talking about real life here and not forum life.
Apparently not, reading some of the little gems sequestered into some of the posts. Not sure if I spelt sequesterd write.

I'll keep out of this one.
Why?
I deem it a little provocative given the current atmosphere.
Life is too short.
None of it will matter in a weeks time ...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

05-08-2012, 04:12 PM

But my interpretation of sitting on the fence is, as Jonsey suggests, appeasement.
That is different to seeing both sides of an argument and empathising with aspects of both sides. Things are not always black and white and I think it is important to accept that what we may have held as strong beliefs can, and should, be challenged, and possibly at times modified in the light of discussion.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

05-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
You cant surely say how it is , and sit on the fence, its one or the other, and as for not speaking your mind isnt this what Forums are about.Yes its a good idea having a place for people who want to upset others and be rude even but I shant go on it.
Annie,
I don't think there are those that use a forum as a debating chamber set out to be rude , whatever, but there are those who have not taken part in a "heated debate" that will interject and try a stir things, and then quietly step aside to see if others "bite".

If two people are contesting a point, each in their own style I don't consider that abuse or offence, ( I think using those two words rather severe ) I think it's just two/ three/ four firing off in the only way they know how.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

05-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Real or forum life, whatever anyone thinks is relevant Mazzie. I was thinking of any type of situation we may find ourselves in. I suppose forums are now part of our lives as well but I wasn't thinking specifically one or the other.
Ah......well that's another matter altogether Aerolor. I think a lot of people behave differently on forums than they do in reality. Like I said I'm easy going, avoid confrontation and don't take sides in someone else's arguments, all in all quite a quiet person................. But I think on forums, its slightly different. There's nothing I like better than a good discussion and if I have enough knowledge to contribute to it, I will. And if I feel strongly enough about the subject, I will argue my corner. But even if I've nothing to contribute, I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's different views of various subjects. I think it's their different outlooks on life that make people so interesting. I see the discussions on forums, not as disagreements between others but as a comparison of everyone's views on the subject in question which is a different thing altogether..............so I'll get involved if I have something to say.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is I'm two different people if that makes sense
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Apparently not, reading some of the little gems sequestered into some of the posts. Not sure if I spelt sequesterd write.

I'll keep out of this one.
Why?
I deem it a little provocative given the current atmosphere.
Life is too short.
None of it will matter in a weeks time ...
I did not intend this thread to be provocative or turn into an argument (and I emphasised that at the beginning because of the current atmosphere on some of the threads and I meant it).
As I said to Mazzie it is/was meant to be about life situations in general which, I suppose, could include forum life - if anyone sees forum life as part of our lives these days.
On reflection, perhaps it was a mistake and it may have been better to wait a while before putting up the thread. I thought it was a broad enough topic to engage a thoughtful discussion. It's up now so people can ignore it or post on it as they wish.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top