Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Identity Theft.

I had a phone call from my bank this morning to say that someone has been using my credit card number yesterday to buy things. The first amount they tried was quite a large amount (which I never do) and this alerted the bank's systems and it was blocked. They tried a few more times but it remained blocked so nothing was actually spent in my name........thank goodness. I haven't lost my card so someone must have got the number when I was purchasing things on-line. The bank said that they will send me a new card and the old one will be defunct.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Re: Identity Theft.

Alan, I got a call from, supposedly, my bank last month - I couldn't understand her, so I asked her to write to me. (I've never had that letter)
I 'phoned the bank myself and got a new card sent.
Then hubby had an account opened in his name with a catalogue company, the goods were sent to us. He 'phoned them and they made arrangements for the parcel to be collected. Which it was, about 8am the next day - half an hour later the proper courier turned up for the returns
In the meantime hubby 'phoned the bank and got a new card sent too.
It isn't just the feeling of being vulnerable, and being cross at the cheek of these fraudsters, it is the rigmarole of having to change the debit card number with people you shop with regularly - like Sainsbury's or Tesco online.
We've also changed all our passwords.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 12:12 PM

This has happened to me too recently and as part of a routine review of my account at my branch I mentioned it and the guy recommended not to use my debit card for anything other than to get cash out of the ATM. He said each credt card issued is a completely separate no from any previous card and is not linked to your account. I have taken note of that and will do this from now on. I know it is not infallible as Alan'e credit card details were used and mine could be too but it seems safer than using your debit card for internet shopping.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Alan when you were speaking to your 'Bank' did they ask you to repeat your account number, your full name and address or even your password?
How do you know it was your bank?
The reason I ask is thats how some scammers are getting your information by pretending its the bank on the phone.
Its a few years now but I had someone ring me up asking that kind of information and I told them I would ring them So put the phone down and rang my own bank.
I hope they didnt get your bank card details from your £2.99 cable you sent off for the other week, that would be a bummer.
Good luck Alan and hope everything goes well.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 02:03 PM

I had two unusual purchases, both for amounts under $100, show up on my credit card statement a couple of years ago and I called Visa. In both cases they said the card was presented, not used online. They send me clear, and enlarged photocopies of the cash register slips signed at the stores. One of the purchases was from a florist in a city I've never visited. The signature looked nothing like mine but the card number was exact and the card had been swiped at the store terminal. My card was still in my possession and Visa couldn't explain how this happened! They did cancel the card, reverse the charges, and sent me a new one. I no longer own a credit card and only use my debit card to withdraw from the ATM.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 07:56 PM

Well if you use ATM - shield the pin number by cupping hand over as you type in - some fraudsters use tiny cameras above the machine. If you go into a shop - be aware of the assistant as well as anyone close by...
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Petrol stations used to be the worst places for cloning cards.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Petrol stations used to be the worst places for cloning cards.
That was mentioned by the Visa person I spoke with, yes. Re debit - I do take care to shield my PIN and change it once in a while too.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Mobile 'phone cameras are used more and more, to take photos of your card while you are holding it. For those in the know, blank cards are easy to get hold of. We were told this by the fraud department.

On the day our parcel was collected by the fraudster, apparently a couple round the corner had three parcels collected
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

19-03-2013, 12:06 AM

There are applications out there now that let you use your iPhone to scan your credit card to make an online purchase. Talk about risky! I don't care what security claims they make, that can't possibly be safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top