Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Re: Identity Theft.

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Petrol stations used to be the worst places for cloning cards.
I think you will find that these days it is fast food places like McDonalds. There are many machines, are easily accessible, not watched closely and hence relatively easy to swap by creating a minor diversion.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2013, 11:35 AM

The person I spoke with at Visa also said the less-used terminals in large store can be swapped out more easily too - a department with slow periods, like a photo studio or optical booth.

I think back now on times I paid for pizza delivery at the door by credit card or debit, using the mobile merchant terminal the driver had. Would never risk that again either.
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2013, 10:24 AM

I use just one credit card online.
It has a £500 limit on it.
Id theft is a worry.
But luckilly mainly for banks - not us!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2013, 02:24 PM

I don't have a credit card but our pension goes onto a visa card and when it expired last year the credit union sent us a new one with the tap'nd go' option on it, this means that for purchases under $100 dollars no pin is needed, you just tap the card on the scanner and that's it!
When I asked the CU to delete the option as I thought it unsafe the CU said they couldn't as it was programmed into the card already.
This means that if I lose my card, or if it's stolen that the card can be used at multiple stores for sales up to $100
when I said this worried me the CU said that if it wasn't a recognised spending pattern the cash would be refunded, that's okay but these things take time to sort out usually and what do I use for money while they're sorting it out?
I don't want the tap and go option, why must I have it?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
There are applications out there now that let you use your iPhone to scan your credit card to make an online purchase. Talk about risky! I don't care what security claims they make, that can't possibly be safe.
Absolutely right Annie, one must always remember that the iPhone people want to make their product look easy to use and time saving, this seems to be the mantra these days but it's bound to increase the risks and anyway I can't see how scanning your card is going to be time saving, we are talking a matter of seconds here, what sane person would risk the card number being transmitted around the world for the sake of a few seconds
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Absolutely right Annie, one must always remember that the iPhone people want to make their product look easy to use and time saving, this seems to be the mantra these days but it's bound to increase the risks and anyway I can't see how scanning your card is going to be time saving, we are talking a matter of seconds here, what sane person would risk the card number being transmitted around the world for the sake of a few seconds
In our household 2 phones are on a shared plan. For a while at first, any changes I made on mine showed up on the other - adding a contact for example. We think we've got them "un-synced" but imagine if one of us had lost our phone and the other did a transaction... the person finding the lost phone could have the details. I am right in this theory or am I paranoid?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top