Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

A truly fab photo of Phylis happily showing how the job should be done. Take heed on that chaps. k

I'ts been fifty years now since Michael Caine uttered those memorable words... "you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off".

As there was no follow up film we also don't know if his classic one liner ' Hang on lads I've got a great idea" would have worked.

Some things you are just left hanging in mid air
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the nice comments ladies, you made her day.
They were talking about “The Italian Job” on Talking Pictures TV today, great film, the prison scenes were all done in Kilmainham goal here in Dublin, I’ve been in Kilmainham jail several times (as a visitor not an inmate ) and I never knew that.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 09:50 PM

"Bad things can happen on the dark side of the moon" quote Spitfire.

Indeed they can Spitty, anything is possible in the great out there.

Just wait till they reach Mars and discover the new elements there, they will turn the laws of physics upside down.
Did you see the program on BBC4 the other night about the elements? When Helium is frozen 250 degrees (some figure around that) below zero it becomes a magic liquid and can pass through solid metal, that’s how these medical scanners work, but wait until they get their hands on Diburnium and Salphitine, only found on the red planet, the new rover craft has found large quantities of these yet unknown on Earth substances, they are keeping it all very hush hush, but don’t forget you seen it here first.
How do I know you may well ask, my little green mate told me in a dream, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it, I don’t want to end me days being poked and prodded to death in a lab at Roswell, that’s what happened to the three little lads who crashed there in 1947, rest their little green souls.

I’m a big space fan and I was thinking of getting one of these for the garden, but the missus wouldn’t hear tell of it, anyway the colour is all wrong, silver metallic is the only realistic colour for a flying saucer.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

29-06-2019, 02:31 PM

I loved the old Irish coins before we went decimal, they all featured animals, far better than most world coins featuring boring heads of state.
I knew a chap who used to solder an anchor ring onto the half crowns and the sixpences so a chain could be attached and hung around the neck, this was when they were no longer legal tender, in the old days one could receive 14 years goal for defacing the currency of the land. Anyway yerman was doing a roaring trade selling the half crowns as “Arkle Medallions” and the sixpences as “Mick the Miller” pendants, after the famous racehorse and greyhound.

“Percy Metcalfe (1895-1970) was the winner of the design competition for the pre-decimal coins. The first Irish coin series consisted of eight coins: farthing, halfpenny, penny, threepence, shilling, florin and half-crown. These coins were first issued on 12 December 1928” wiki.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

29-06-2019, 02:59 PM

That’s two of the eight coins spoken for, now using your imagination can you name a famous Bull, Chicken, Rabbit, Pig, and Woodcock?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 06:50 PM

Interesting coins Jem.....I have an old stone jar at home that over the years I have dropped interesting coinsi into and I am sure that I have that bronze coloured pig one.... will have to dig it out and have a look.

Your question about famous animals has only set me off singing Old
McDonald had a farm and it' wont go away so I will get back on it.

Another catchy little song that sticks in your mind while I am thinking

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

30-06-2019, 02:27 PM

I noticed with todays potatoes that there are no “eyes” in them anymore, I hope they are not genetically messin about with the Roosters and the King Edwards, I remember me granny peeling potatoes and expertly cutting the eyes out with the tip of the knife.
If she was talking about a young woman she didn’t like she used to say “She thinks she’s gorgeous walking down the street, sure a potato wouldn’t give her the eye”
Funny how women never have anything good to say about other women in the looks department ain’t it.

Roger Rabbit was famous, it was my son’s favourite film as a kid, I bought him the Video and he now has it transferred to a disc, now it’s his sons favourite film. I had the pleasure of meeting Bob Hoskins in a pub in the city centre many years ago, a lovely man with a great sense of humour, rest his soul.
The Woodcock on the Irish farthing is a hard one, the only famous Woodcock I know of is Pinocchio.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Went here today, never heard of a Toposcope before, great view of the city.

solo
UK

30-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Jem I read somewhere that the reason potatoes no longer make eyes at you (there's a song there somewhere just waiting to tbe sung) because there sprayed with anti sprouting chemicals. Bit like that stuff they used to slip into Army chaps tea when they weren't looking.

I'm going for Bugs Bunny who was far more famous that that Roger one plus he kept better company than that brazen floosie Jessica Rabbit. Bodacious Bull made it into the hall of fame so you can't get more famous than that...apparently .

Thanks Spitty, Yesterday one of our stops was at Symmonds Yat Rock so your view of Lickey Hills reminds me that climbing those hills is not for the faint hearted and whilst the views may take your breath away..it's not in the way you want. I am still recovering. Unfortunately 'Do or die' takes on a whole new meaning with age.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Jem I read somewhere that the reason potatoes no longer make eyes at you (there's a song there somewhere just waiting to tbe sung) because there sprayed with anti sprouting chemicals. Bit like that stuff they used to slip into Army chaps tea when they weren't looking.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top