Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2009, 09:25 PM

Re: Pensions?

Still working but hubby reaches pensionable age next year so we will see what happens then
Sue
Katiecoos
New Member!
Chatham UK
Katiecoos is female 

10-12-2009, 08:59 PM

I have recently retired. I have a state pension and a very small pension from the company I worked for. Like all pensioners I have a free bus pass which I am enjoying so much !!!!!! It is the first freebee I have every had, I have always had to work for everything that I have, never ever had any free hand outs.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2009, 10:33 PM

You're lucky in the UK to get free bus passes... here in the States we do get a reduced fare after 65....60 cents; regular fare is $1.35.
Tillyann
New Member!
Devon, UK
Tillyann is female 

14-12-2009, 02:18 PM

State pension + pension credit, don't smoke but enjoy a glass or two of wine and the odd meal out. No mortgage and don't drive anymore can't say I miss driving either.
gallina
New Member!
Manchester,UK
gallina is female 

23-02-2010, 05:37 PM

I had to cash in my private pension to help salvage our business, so nothing left there. Business is still going downhill and we are trying to sell it so at least we get rid of the lease. Then we will go into liquidation, and have no employment so will have to sell the house to pay our debts. At 57 I am not looking forward to the next few years. Maybe things will turn out OK eventually but we are in for a rough time for a while. And no house for our retirement which is the worst thing. Don't know what we are going to do.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Do you all have traditional pensions or did some of you invest in things like a second home for a pension?
I am lucky to have an occupational pension which was a final salary scheme (now almost dead as the dodo). I did consider other things to boost my pension, eventually settling for AVCs which resulted in purchasing an annuity in addition (only small).
On balance, we are lucky to be OK in retirement and chose to help our kids buy their houses, which for us was a nice long term way to keep it in the family.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Planned early for retirement, from when I was young.
No Mortgage, paid of in the early 90's but still being paid into a investment account.
No debts, never used credit always paid cash and got good discounts.

State pension + wives state pension.
Pension from two companies plus a private pension giving me a comfortable retirement.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 08:44 PM

I agree with you there, AB; I also started planning when I was 23 buying good blue chip dividend paying stocks, invested the allowed amount in IRAs ever since they were first offered, and paid off the mortgage in '85. I do use credit cards but never carried a balance; paid off in full every month.

I get my Social Security check and dividend checks monthly and am also having a comfortable retirement.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Jenny is with Equitable life-whoops!!

I retired at some silly age but for years until Jenny got sick I paid into a `recovery fund`-it`s doing OK.

We have no mortgage or children so eventually I guess we will sell this place and either buy somewhere smaller or even rent

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top