Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 10:51 PM

Re: Can one learn

You should see my first Life Drawings...

... or perhaps you shouldn't!

(Poor man had three legs! )
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
You should see my first Life Drawings...

... or perhaps you shouldn't!

(Poor man had three legs! )
Did he have a beard at least?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 02:52 AM

That is one of the best questions I have seen here LQ. And the one that can have so many answers. So sorry if this is a saga. The question do you need "talent" or can you learn. All I can say is I think you can learn to paint and draw well. And then really well if you make it a goal. Same as you can learn to play a guitar or violin really well with little or no talent if you work hard enough and have the right teacher. But to make people feel your art. To make people draw their breath/ find it hard to look away or stop listening, I think that takes strong talent..whatever that is. But "art"..what a term!?...who can really define it?...I think many people can legitimately judge what is a good work of art in a technical sense. But I have heard from others who have some skin in the game that really great art has qualities that are hard to define. I see a portrait for instance. If it just really accurately "Looks" like a person, I think yeah good but it may as well be a photo. Then again sometimes I can look at a brilliant photograph and it has more depth and power than a painting. A painting might be bordering on abstract or a really bent depiction of a person but you can tell both who it is and it strikes you powerfully. You can't look away. A portrait that really tells you what's inside that person. That's great art. And I can't do it! But I would like to contribute a piece that was done by a friend of mine in San Francisco. It is a photo of an abstract impressionistic ( I guess that is the term - happy to be corrected) depiction of her neighbourhood. It is called "Noe Valley Sunday" For me it nails the feel of that place 100%. Because I know the area and I have had some great times there. For others it maybe just lines and colours..or just "rubbish" But If you have never been there but it still gathers up what feelings and thoughts you have about that city - If you can say "Yes!..that's San Francisco"..Then maybe it's a truly great piece of art. Just an example of what I'm saying. If you think what you create is "rubbish" Is that because somebody else has told you it is? Or is it really your own evaluation. People told Vincent Van Gogh his work was rubbish. I'm sure there are people who still think that. It is worth almost billions now I think. But I stood in front of Starry Night at MOMA in New York and my heart was nearly bursting out of my chest. Was that because of the painting itself?..or was it because of the legend of the man himself?..Last words. It is what it is. Whatever it is it's right there in front of you. Whether it's an abstract or a realistic portrait..can of soup, bowl of fruit or a pink dummy. If you like it, keep looking/ listening, buy it, love it. If you don't like it..walk away.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noe Valley Sunday 5.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	10123  
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 06:02 AM

I read your post with interest Keezoy ...have to admit though I do not have the artists eye because truly to me that picture is just squares and boxes of colour...pleasing but nothing more. I'm obviously a lost cause
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 06:30 AM

The art teacher at Grammar school gave up on me when it came to drawing - but she recognized I have an eye for colour and patterns - introduced me to lino cuts, mosaics, collage etc., Art, like beauty, is very much in the eye of the beholder - from unmade beds and piles of bricks to Monet, Waterhouse and Bosch.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I read your post with interest Keezoy ...have to admit though I do not have the artists eye because truly to me that picture is just squares and boxes of colour...pleasing but nothing more. I'm obviously a lost cause
Yes exactly. That is my point and thank you for your comment. It is all in the eye of the beholder and what buttons it presses. I am no painter. My art is music. But for me, I see the steep streets, the little multi coloured wooden Victorian houses all bunched up. The Catholic Cathedral, the little green spaces and the Pacific Ocean horizon. As I said, you see what you see. It's a personal thing.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Our Muddys and Azure's art have prompted me to start this thread.

I am hopeless at drawing or painting and would love to be able to create such nice pieces.

My question is, can you learn to draw and get good if initially you are rubbish or is it just you need a natural talent and flair?
I learned to draw:

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 12:56 PM

Vector diagrams anybody?
I can draw those too.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 01:11 PM

Practice makes perfect LQ
And it's a lot of fun discovering along the way
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Vector diagrams anybody?
I can draw those too.
Wonder if they still teach this stuff in schools? At my Secondary Modern we were taught technical drawing and orthographic projection (depicting 3D objects in 2D), presumably to help us get a job if these skills were needed.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top