Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 05:19 PM

Use by date.

On refrigerated items.

Would you ever go over a day,of the use by date?

Unopened that is.

I go over a day,on very rare occasions,usually when I stay at my sons.

He always seems to have..food in the fridge,that is about to go out of date.

Personally,I think it depends what it is...fish..I would not go over the use by date.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 05:35 PM

Re: Use by date.

Yes I've done it sometimes, but as you say never with fish. My nose tells me if it's ok or not.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Used eggs the other day 7 days over use by,not been ill.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 08:30 PM

Funny you should ask. I bought some sausages yesterday for pup's treats. When I looked this evening, the use by date is today so I have cooked them and put them in the fridge. If it was for myself, I would have waited till tomorrow.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:45 PM

As a once upon a time Quality Control Supervisor at Unilevers Hastings (NZ) factory I can tell you that the use by date assumes worst possible storage by the buyer. If you have refrigerated properly and it smells ok it is OK. Yes fish does smell but does not become hazardous, just horrible tasting. It is usually a marketing ploy otherwise why would you have a use by date on salt?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Funny you should ask. I bought some sausages yesterday for pup's treats. When I looked this evening, the use by date is today so I have cooked them and put them in the fridge. If it was for myself, I would have waited till tomorrow.

Dongle, you could always cook them, slice them up into small portions and freeze them. They will keep alright that way and you can just take a few out at a time to defrost in the fridge.

I often buy Mince, Chicken, or Casserole steak that is on the last day to tempt my oldest one. I cook it straightaway, then freeze it in Mup size portions for her.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Dongle, you could always cook them, slice them up into small portions and freeze them. They will keep alright that way and you can just take a few out at a time to defrost in the fridge.

I often buy Mince, Chicken, or Casserole steak that is on the last day to tempt my oldest one. I cook it straightaway, then freeze it in Mup size portions for her.
Thanks Mups , will do that. A couple of them might mysteriously disappear though.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yes I've done it sometimes, but as you say never with fish. My nose tells me if it's ok or not.

Me too...my nose comes in very handy...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

15-07-2019, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

That's a good idea...once cooked..they will be fine in the fridge for 3 days or even 4..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

15-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
As a once upon a time Quality Control Supervisor at Unilevers Hastings (NZ) factory I can tell you that the use by date assumes worst possible storage by the buyer. If you have refrigerated properly and it smells ok it is OK. Yes fish does smell but does not become hazardous, just horrible tasting. It is usually a marketing ploy otherwise why would you have a use by date on salt?
There is no use by date...on my pot of Saxa Salt....I have looked everywhere on the pot....nothing...just how to store.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top