Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 07:38 AM

Re: Spud u like closing outlets?

That's life. Business is not charity.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 07:38 AM

It is a shabby way to treat your staff!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
True - but the owners must have seen it coming, Artful, they should have warned their staff.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 08:03 AM

I went to one once or twice in the 70s .... the shop in Shepherds Bush as pictured in the DM above.

I remember Wimpys and when the first McDonalds opened in the area. But there were good 'workmens' caffs for proper nosh.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 08:08 AM

It's a nice idea to avoid hurting employees but when a business is in trouble thee may be an opportunity to sell it as "fire damaged" rather than watch it go down the pan and recover nothing. Under those circumstances keeping things close to our chest has to come first and ---

And never ever forget that employees are just a resource.

A resource that is unique but one that has a cost and a value and ensuring that the gross cost is always kept at a minimum and is always less than the value is all that matters.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Just wondered if anyone here has ever been to a spud u like? I remember going there in the 80s but I had no idea they still had a high street presence. To be honest I can't believe they have been going for so long!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gh-Street.html
Never heard of it.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 09:00 AM

People cannot live on charity and pay their bills that way either, money is something that is worked for so salaries should be protected. It's been worse in this way since weekly pay was mostly replaced by a monthly payment. What happens when a company goes bankrupt is basically theft!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
True - but the owners must have seen it coming, Artful, they should have warned their staff.
Often if not always they do see it coming. It is kept quiet as suppliers owed money would instantly want outstanding invoices paid and would also refuse to supply anything further by way of goods on credit.

It's a nice idea to avoid hurting employees but when a business is in trouble thee may be an opportunity to sell it as "fire damaged" rather than watch it go down the pan and recover nothing. Under those circumstances keeping things close to our chest has to come first and ---

And never ever forget that employees are just a resource.

A resource that is unique but one that has a cost and a value and ensuring that the gross cost is always kept at a minimum and is always less than the value is all that matters.
Most people who have lost hard-earned money as a result of companies closing down overnight are well aware there is no sentiment in business. It is well past time the way it is possible for owners of companies that close, only to start up again the next day, often with just a change of name but all debts wiped out, was stopped. These same people also ensure their personal assets are secured beforehand, often by putting them in their wife's name. That is legalised theft by any other name I reckon. Personally I am still owed around £3,000 following businesses having closed overnight without notice. Fortunately I usually managed to find other work quickly. One time, the very next day, only to find I was doing work for the defunct business – the bosses knew each other so 'helped out' by doing his friend's work for existing clients after his business had closed down!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 09:48 AM

I've never seen one of their shops and until yesterday I hadn't heard the name before.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 10:00 AM

I would rather see a church close down than a good cafe' (unfortunately I can't survive on spiritual food alone)....
And I was a regular customer at 'Spud-u-Like' especially the ones in Meadowhall and Macarthur Glen, and I've never been disappointed. I shall be sad to see them go......RIP Spud u Like.....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

05-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
People cannot live on charity and pay their bills that way either, money is something that is worked for so salaries should be protected. It's been worse in this way since weekly pay was mostly replaced by a monthly payment. What happens when a company goes bankrupt is basically theft!

Often if not always they do see it coming. It is kept quiet as suppliers owed money would instantly want outstanding invoices paid and would also refuse to supply anything further by way of goods on credit.

Most people who have lost money as a result of companies closing down overnight are well aware there is no sentiment in business. It is well past time the way it is possible for owners of companies that close, only to start up again the next day, often with just a change of name but all debts wiped out, was stopped. These same people also ensure their personal assets are secured beforehand, often by putting them in their wife's name. That is legalised theft by any other name I reckon. Personally I am still owed around £3,000 following businesses having closed overnight without notice. Fortunately I usually managed to find other work quickly. One time, the very next day, only to find I was doing work for the defunct business – the bosses knew each other so 'helped out' by doing his friend's work for existing clients after his business had closed down!
The laws where limited liability companies are concerned are very well defined, very strict, and we'll enforced.

Extending credit to a limited liability company in the form of goods or services includes a risk but the advantage is that typically you have other guys acting as an extension to your own sales and marketing team.

Sometimes you are a dog, sometimes you are a lamp post.

It's all about risk and managing the risk.

As for employees, if an employer goes to the wall the employee is protected by the law concerning redundancy.

If a limited liability company fails it doesn't just happen. The bankruptcy hearing investigates and the liquidator deals with debt and any goods etc. that the failed company has and repays debtors by liquidating assets. Meantime shareholders lose all investments they have in the failed company.

Providing certain laws regarding the duties and responsibilities of directors of the failed company have not been broken it is absolutely correct that a new company can be set up by those same people and start trading or even have started trading in parallel with the failed company before it actually went into liquidation - but that can be a bit uncomfortable to explain during the bankruptcy hearing.

People should NEVER forget that an employee, every employee, is just a resource.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top