Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Re: Read the labels!

You might want to check the sugar content of that Asda Coronation Chicken too. I believe it's close to 10% sugar !!!

About 2 full teaspoons of sugar in just a small 100g portion of the stuff !

Another example of how manufacturers just throw the equivalent of a Class A drug in the mix to fool our brains into thinking it's really tasty and thereby making us buy more of the product.

Why would I want sugar on a chicken dish??
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:53 AM

A colleague of mine who used to work in the food industry, told me once that laboratories regularly check meats sold in shops for genetic modification.
She said that Iceland's (the shop not the country) chicken was tested and the only thing the scientists could say for sure was that the meat was from a mammal!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
A colleague of mine who used to work in the food industry, told me once that laboratories regularly check meats sold in shops for genetic modification.
She said that Iceland's (the shop not the country) chicken was tested and the only thing the scientists could say for sure was that the meat was from a mammal!
Not meat from a bird then Rhian? I wonder what it was. Rat maybe.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You might want to check the sugar content of that Asda Coronation Chicken too. I believe it's close to 10% sugar !!!

About 2 full teaspoons of sugar in just a small 100g portion of the stuff !

Another example of how manufacturers just throw the equivalent of a Class A drug in the mix to fool our brains into thinking it's really tasty and thereby making us buy more of the product.

Why would I want sugar on a chicken dish??
It hides a multitude of more bitter ingredients realist, I have to admit I have added a spoonful of sugar to some dishes I have used tinned tomatoes in if the tomatoes are a bit bitter.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Not meat from a bird then Rhian? I wonder what it was. Rat maybe.
Worrying isnt it?
I have heard that even vegetables' genetic codes are altered to improve shelf life and texture and such like.
Who's to say that the proteins that they're swapping aren't derived from animals.
That's concerns me aa a veggie/pescatarian
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Your government is probably saving you from the danger posed by your dodgy farmers. UK Chicken and poultry bi-products are still banned from being imported into Australia for biosecurity reasons as, of course, are any UK beef products.
No danger at all in the chicken I buy, Bruce. Free range, properly feed, locally produced and guaranteed salmonella free. Beef and Pork comes from local farms - again - properly reared. When I buy lamb it is English or Welsh. Won't touch NZ lamb since I heard rumours it was all halal.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No danger at all in the chicken I buy, Bruce. Free range, properly feed, locally produced and guaranteed salmonella free. Beef and Pork comes from local farms - again - properly reared. When I buy lamb it is English or Welsh. Won't touch NZ lamb since I heard rumours it was all halal.
Don't worry you won't catch Muslim from eating NZ lamb.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, but if they didn't make a profit they wouldn't exist.
Having said that, I too, would be wary of meat from south east Asia.
All businesses need to make a profit, most of us understand that but it's not just a profit it's more of a profit. The chicken from abroad has not been reared in the same strict conditions as our's which makes it cheaper, therefore supermarkets can undercut the producers' prices of chicken raised here. If it was 'a level playing field' then it would be different.

What are we doing letting this kind of undercutting of our home produced products and meat happen, why are we not banning any imported meat that is not raised to the same strict animal welfare standards?

It's the same with New Zealand lamb, far cheaper than our own lamb and yet it's travelled all those thousands of miles to be on our supermarket shelves. Our lamb is exported so even more air miles but we could have had that here on our shelves rather than importing lamb from other countries.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top