Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:01 AM

How are your dogs coping with the heat?

My two JRs just mope around the garden from one bit of shade to another. They can often be found lurking in the undergrowth where the heavy planting makes it the coolest area. The GSD is twelve years old now and is completely deaf. She has severe arthritis in her back legs for which she is on highly expensive meds. I brush her daily and get enough fur each time to make another dog. They all thoroughly enjoy their early morning walk through the woods while it's cool but no walks midday as it's much too hot, 33c. At this moment they are all laying on the floor in front of an oscillating fan...as am I.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Re: How are your dogs coping with the heat?

My dogs know the spot where the air con blows cool air.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:29 PM

Plops, you are lucky having air con, that would be a real luxury to me.
All over to Ploppy's house for tea.

My lot are much quieter than usual EZ, and laying around sleeping more.
They are seeking out the vinyl floor more than carpet as it is a little cooler for them.

Like you, I am not walking mine in the heat of the day, as it's not just the sun on them, it's the hot pavements burning their feet as well.

I clipped three of them yesterday, so they haven't got quite as much coat as they had, but other than a new fan blowing in the room, there is not a lot more we can do till it passes.
I have been putting ice cubes in their water bowls too.

I find these slim, light weight dogs cope better than the big heavier breeds.
I can't imagine how the poor Bulldog and Pug tpes manage though.

They have just forecast thunder and rain later today for Cambridge area and it may spread across to here apparently. It has been too fierce for me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Chloe is coping better than me this morning, I have just spent 3.5 hours standing trimmer her and she is now laying in the shade in the garden next to the lemon balm with a bowl of water.
I am shattered and still have to clear up the mess of hair in the garage before I take Chloe for a brief walk under the trees then give her a cool bath.

Chloe doesn't cope well with the heat , I walk her properly in the early morning and when it is dark . She usually sleeps on her bed upstairs at night in the corner of my bedroom but prefers under the stairs in my draughty hall when it is hot. She has her very own fan too.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Mungo was pooped the other day went we took him out to a street market .
We have been leaving him at home in the heat of the day .
He likes to go into the garage which has a concrete floor and lie there .
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:45 PM

Chasing shady spots round the garden most of the day then late evening down to the beach for a romp and a cooling swim.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 12:49 PM

We do the early morning stroll, the ice cubes and some frozen pieces of frozen chicken. And he likes the tiled floor in the bathroom.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Plops, you are lucky having air con, that would be a real luxury to me.
All over to Ploppy's house for tea.

I have installed thousands of the damn things. It's only natural that I have one myself. The main reason is of course the Australian summer heat, high 30s and low 40s.
Stay cool up there in the UK.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Chloe is coping better than me this morning, I have just spent 3.5 hours standing trimmer her and she is now laying in the shade in the garden next to the lemon balm with a bowl of water.
I am shattered and still have to clear up the mess of hair in the garage before I take Chloe for a brief walk under the trees then give her a cool bath.

Chloe doesn't cope well with the heat , I walk her properly in the early morning and when it is dark . She usually sleeps on her bed upstairs at night in the corner of my bedroom but prefers under the stairs in my draughty hall when it is hot. She has her very own fan too.
Crikey Meg three and a half hours.. what is she, a Shetland pony...
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 01:14 PM

I'm guessing that most dog owners know not to feed ice cubes straight to their dogs. Ok into the water bowls but not from hand to mouth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top