Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Re: Do you think a study of psychology is useful?

Just watched PD . How interesting . Certainly making me think
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:08 AM

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/work/eve...ychology-scams
American Evangelical Preachers know to to use psychological tricks in order to fleece the flock, knowledge in the wrong hands can be dangerous and even more so for the vulnerable.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:25 AM

I believe that psychology is about understanding how & why people think the way they do.

Each individual is different & interprets things differently to others. I have helped a few people over the internet by asking questions & listening to their answers, but it can take many hours of talk to see a positive reaction. Here are some of the people I helped....

1) A man who was going to commit suicide. I knew he didn't really want to die, but I needed to keep him talking for over an hour, while also contacting his friends to get help to his home.
He went into care & a few months later thanked me for saving his life.

2) A man with mental & physical health problems, who wasn't looking after himself well, because it didn't matter if he died. It took me 18 months, chatting to him every day, to win his trust & make him realize that life was worthwhile. He authorized me to tell his psychologist things that he told me about his sexual abuse, but sometimes couldn't repeat to him.

3) A man in the States who had been stung by a scorpion. He said that if he went into a coma he could die, but staying awake through the pain may help, as he lived in the middle if nowhere & couldn't get help soon enough. I suspected he could be lying, but couldn't leave him in case he wasn't. I continued to talk to him for 2 hours & kept him alert till the pain reduced.....but he did ramble about strange things during our chat, so it could have been genuine!

4) A lady in Canada who was heart broken to discover her husband was cheating. I spent 9 years making her feel worthwhile, & helping her to choose a new partner. She married him at the end of last year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Why wouldn't it be useful?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rehab44 ->
https://www.moneywise.co.uk/work/eve...ychology-scams
american evangelical preachers know to to use psychological tricks in order to fleece the flock, knowledge in the wrong hands can be dangerous and even more so for the vulnerable.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by precious ->
thanks bratti.
this thread might be more positive than the religious ones ��
Yes, a much better thread, Precious. Make sure you stick to topic then, eh?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 11:05 AM

I might add a bit here. Having been in the job I have some great things to say about Psych and some quite strong criticisms. I could go on about both but I find doing that is always fraught with problems. What problems?..if I said what problems that would lead me to going on about it. I will therefore leave this discussion to those who are interested. Knock yourselves out. It's all good. All I will say is psychology is about people. Real people with real feelings in a brutally real world . We should never fall victim to seeing the people we "study" as "cases" or " complex systems". If you ever want to understand somebody - anybody, sure you can read Jung and Freud and Rogers and Piaget and Skinner and whoever else but at the end of the day the most important person is the one in front of you and the most helpful thing you can do is just listen: and show them that you have listened. Psychology is not always about a patient sitting in front of you though. Psychology ..proper psychology practised by a clinical psychologist can involve a huge variety of scientific research. It is science in it's strictest definition. Exacting, rigorous and complex. It goes hand in hand with many medical specialties. I think it is one of the most rewarding and fascinating professions one can practice. I retired a few years ago. I still miss it every day.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I might add a bit here. Having been in the job I have some great things to say about Psych and some quite strong criticisms. I could go on about both but I find doing that is always fraught with problems. What problems?..if I said what problems that would lead me to going on about it. I will therefore leave this discussion to those who are interested. Knock yourselves out. It's all good. All I will say is psychology is about people. Real people with real feelings in a brutally real world . We should never fall victim to seeing the people we "study" as "cases" or " complex systems". If you ever want to understand somebody - anybody, sure you can read Jung and Freud and Rogers and Piaget and Skinner and whoever else but at the end of the day the most important person is the one in front of you and the most helpful thing you can do is just listen: and show them that you have listened. Psychology is not always about a patient sitting in front of you though. Psychology ..proper psychology practised by a clinical psychologist can involve a huge variety of scientific research. It is science in it's strictest definition. Exacting, rigorous and complex. It goes hand in hand with many medical specialties. I think it is one of the most rewarding and fascinating professions one can practice. I retired a few years ago. I still miss it every day.
Off topic (sorry) but did you have a nice birthday Keezoy.

I don't contribute in threads like this because I'm not clever enough and feel out of my depth but it sounds like you had a really interesting career.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=Puddle Duck;1776500]Probably only useful to the people who study it. It means they can label and categorise others more easily, but I'm not really a fan of that. I think many would not like to be generalised and put in the same box.

I posted this video on another thread , but it was obvious that nobody viewed it.
Although it's more connected to psychiatry , I believe that they are intertwined .
It's to do with mental health by studying the brain from 83,000 brains. SPECT imaging.

Really interesting video, Puddles.

I liked it especially when he said Psychiatrists are about the only profession who never look at the organ they are treating. Patients just seem to get drugs thrown at them instead of getting to the real reason.
Without looking at the real problem he said it like throwing darts in the dark.

That must be so true.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Probably only useful to the people who study it. It means they can label and categorise others more easily, but I'm not really a fan of that. I think many would not like to be generalised and put in the same box.

I posted this video on another thread , but it was obvious that nobody viewed it.
Although it's more connected to psychiatry , I believe that they are intertwined .
It's to do with mental health by studying the brain from 83,000 brains. SPECT imaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esPRsT-lmw8
Interesting video but psychiatrists weren’t even on my radar or even considered when I wrote my answer.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top