Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Re: Do you think a study of psychology is useful?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Off topic (sorry) but did you have a nice birthday Keezoy.

I don't contribute in threads like this because I'm not clever enough and feel out of my depth but it sounds like you had a really interesting career.
Thanks LQ. Yes I had a great birthday and father's day (Sunday) thanks for arksing. I am still drinking my presents. And yes I have to say that now that I actually have time to sit back and think about it. I did indeed have an interesting career. A psychiatrist friend once said me many years ago.."You're just starting out and everything will be exciting, taxing, exhausting, frightening, rewarding, disappointing and 100 other things. NOt just now at the beginning but all the way through. Sometimes you'll feel confident and other times like you're drowning. That's all normal. But if at the end of your career you can honestly say that one of the biggest things you have learned is how much you don't know, then you can tell yourself that your career has probably been worthwhile" I still marvel at how much I don't know. YOu never stop learning. And you can learn something from everybody you meet. When somebody says something like "I'm not clever enough" that's usually a hint for me that they are a person who is plenty clever. Conversely it is often those who blow their own trumpets and are always making out that they know everything and also try to put you down at the same time, that are the ones that know the least. They are so overcome with themselves and devalue everyone around them that they miss a lot. That's called The Dunning Kruger effect. Just for your info. Or am I being a "know it all"..Sorry but it's my birthday..almost..still...I'll get back in my box..with my Jim Beam..
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:31 PM

But i digress?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by precious ->
But i digress?
Hey Presh me old China!..How's life up there in Brizvegas? How about putting up a profile pic with you smiling?..Just a thought. Just watching the test from Old Traff. Bit of a shaky start from Australia but early days. Like cricket do you?..
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Thanks LQ. Yes I had a great birthday and father's day (Sunday) thanks for arksing. I am still drinking my presents. And yes I have to say that now that I actually have time to sit back and think about it. I did indeed have an interesting career. A psychiatrist friend once said me many years ago.."You're just starting out and everything will be exciting, taxing, exhausting, frightening, rewarding, disappointing and 100 other things. NOt just now at the beginning but all the way through. Sometimes you'll feel confident and other times like you're drowning. That's all normal. But if at the end of your career you can honestly say that one of the biggest things you have learned is how much you don't know, then you can tell yourself that your career has probably been worthwhile" I still marvel at how much I don't know. YOu never stop learning. And you can learn something from everybody you meet.
Well said keezoy! Psychology isn't about understanding peoples minds, it is about helping them to understand their own actions. Never an easy job, but a great joy if you encourage them to change.
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Labels are of course dangerous.
I have social anxiety. Its useful to know but I try not to let it define me.
But just from a learning and entertainment point of view it is interesting to learn the psychology of a criminal mind. Each one unique but a fascinating topic.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Off topic (sorry) but did you have a nice birthday Keezoy.

I don't contribute in threads like this because I'm not clever enough and feel out of my depth but it sounds like you had a really interesting career.
Ditto
keezoy
Australia

04-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well said keezoy! Psychology isn't about understanding peoples minds, it is about helping them to understand their own actions. Never an easy job, but a great joy if you encourage them to change.
Damned right about all that. CBT was my main thing. Not always the "silver bullet" some practitioners think it is but it does work if there is an equal commitment from patient and practitioner. I always found it a practical approach. Plenty of room for encouragement and positive reinforcement without opening too many old wounds. Psychoanalysis it ain't.
keezoy
Australia

04-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Labels are of course dangerous.
I have social anxiety. Its useful to know but I try not to let it define me.
But just from a learning and entertainment point of view it is interesting to learn the psychology of a criminal mind. Each one unique but a fascinating topic.
No judgements here mate. And criminals can be very fascinating. They can be extremely boring and tedious as well. But there you go. So..do you like cricket??? Sorry off topic. Carry on.
keezoy
Australia

04-09-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Ditto
When somebody says something like "I'm not clever enough" that's usually a hint for me that they are a person who is plenty clever. Conversely it is often those who blow their own trumpets and are always making out that they know everything and also try to put you down at the same time, that are the ones that know the least. They are so overcome with themselves and devalue everyone around them that they miss a lot. That's called The Dunning Kruger effect. Just for your info. Or am I being a "know it all"..Sorry but it's my birthday..almost..still...I'll get back in my box..with my Jim Beam..

This is the bit I added above. You might like it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I might add a bit here. Having been in the job I have some great things to say about Psych and some quite strong criticisms. I could go on about both but I find doing that is always fraught with problems. What problems?..if I said what problems that would lead me to going on about it. I will therefore leave this discussion to those who are interested. Knock yourselves out. It's all good. All I will say is psychology is about people. Real people with real feelings in a brutally real world . We should never fall victim to seeing the people we "study" as "cases" or " complex systems". If you ever want to understand somebody - anybody, sure you can read Jung and Freud and Rogers and Piaget and Skinner and whoever else but at the end of the day the most important person is the one in front of you and the most helpful thing you can do is just listen: and show them that you have listened. Psychology is not always about a patient sitting in front of you though. Psychology ..proper psychology practised by a clinical psychologist can involve a huge variety of scientific research. It is science in it's strictest definition. Exacting, rigorous and complex. It goes hand in hand with many medical specialties. I think it is one of the most rewarding and fascinating professions one can practice. I retired a few years ago. I still miss it every day.
An excellent post Keezoy. We can always rely on you to be the voice of reason. We are all psychologists in a way.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top