Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:00 PM

Who's good on Caterpillars

While out with my dogs yesterday, we were up a cart track between the fields and came across a small pile of dumped rubbish that had been set fire to.

I was looking at it when I saw something move, and it was the biggest caterpillar I have even seen in my life, wriggling along next to the ashes, quite unharmed.

I kept the dogs away from it, because I didn't rrecognise it and wasn't sure if it was safe.

It was around 3 & half inches long!!
Bright green, sort of cross between lime green and grass green.
It's body was divided into sections across its back.
But other than the sheer size of it, the most remarkable thing was a huge red 'spike' like a horn or sting sticking up erect on the bum end of it's body.

I have never seen anything like it.

Anyone good on identifying caterpillars here?
If not, I shall see if I can find it on google.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:14 PM

Re: Who's good on Caterpillars

The 'sting' or what ever it was on the tail end, looked like this, but the caterpillar itself didn't have the same body markings as this one.

I'd love to know what it was incase I see one again up those fields. I would like to know if it stings as well as that protruding 'horn' looked quite a lethal weapon!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Could it be any of these, with the help of Mr Google, Mups?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...Q2WCfwQ4dUDCAY
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Sounds like the Tomato Hornworm, caterpillar of the Five spotted hawk moth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manduca_quinquemaculata
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-09-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Sounds like the Tomato Hornworm, caterpillar of the Five spotted hawk moth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manduca_quinquemaculata

Thanks Ray, I've had a look and it was not quite like the Hornworm. It didn't have the body markings they seem to have.
Many thanks for the effort though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-09-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Could it be any of these, with the help of Mr Google, Mups?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...Q2WCfwQ4dUDCAY

This is odd Mags, because I think it was the Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar, but what is confusing is, there seems to be two very different types.

One looks brown and has big distinct 'eyes' set in a face, and it wasn't like that at all.

But on the same page it has a bright green E.H. Moth, complete with red horn, which I'm pretty sure it was.
The Moths can have a 6" wingspan - imagine that flying into the kitchen one night!

I just don't understand how they can be so completely different if they are both Elephant Hawkmoths?

I have never seen one so huge, and it didn't half cover the ground quickly as it wriggled really fast.
Quite an amazing looking creature.
In the picture below, it was like the Green one on the right, not the brown one.

Bet our Nom would have know that.

Thanks very much for your help.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:02 PM

No,no, none of those - it is clearly one of Hagrid's Blast Ended Screwts!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Seems it was almost definitely some sort of hawk moth caterpillar

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...4dUDCAY&uact=5

Who knew there were so many different hawk moths.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:11 PM

Possibly this one Mups.

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/briti...us-convolvuli/
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This is odd Mags, because I think it was the Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar, but what is confusing is, there seems to be two very different types.

One looks brown and has big distinct 'eyes' set in a face, and it wasn't like that at all.

But on the same page it has a bright green E.H. Moth, complete with red horn, which I'm pretty sure it was.
The Moths can have a 6" wingspan - imagine that flying into the kitchen one night!

I just don't understand how they can be so completely different if they are both Elephant Hawkmoths?

I have never seen one so huge, and it didn't half cover the ground quickly as it wriggled really fast.
Quite an amazing looking creature.
In the picture below, it was like the Green one on the right, not the brown one.

Bet our Nom would have know that.

Thanks very much for your help.

Maybe one is male and the other female Mups?

Or maybe young ones are brown and they turn green as they mature?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top