Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Re: Pre Diabetes

Ez, this must be frustrating as you are already living an active life.

You will find that sugar is like salt in that as you use it over time, you need more to taste the same sweetness. You might try weaning yourself slowly. I think you will be surprised at the result.

Your weight/ratio seems perfect, but there are studies out there showing that building muscle may help curb the risk. Are you doing enough strength training?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Same here Bruce. Porridge seems to warm you up and I eat it most mornings when I come in from work before bed. It's one of the best foods there is for your health. Add some fruit bits like raisins or chopped almond nuts and it adds sweetness without using sugar.
The only thing I add is a blob of butter and a splash of milk. Don't use sugar on anything.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I still eat porridge, had some this morning.
Good for you. It's without doubt a hugely healthy thing to eat.

But . . . as with everything, it depends what we mean by porridge.

If you can get hold of pure organic oat groats to flake yourself, or if you can get pure organic rolled oats, totally as nature made them, then yep, it's a super healthy breakfast.

Unfortunately for some people porridge means products like this:

This little pot of porridge contains 10g sugar which is 2.5 teaspoonfuls. That's the "Original" version. The flavour versions are much worse. Not good imo.
CandyCrunch
USA
CandyCrunch is female  CandyCrunch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 10:11 PM

This type has only 1g sugar

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Unfortunately for some people porridge means products like this:

Supposing that by 'some people' you are referring to yourself because I am sure you wouldn't be so pompous and presumptuous to be telling us what other people are eating. I think you will find that porridge is full of sugar and not good for you at all, personally I never add sugar to anything, but each to his own.

Just to help you out - I buy these:

Like all food they are completely organic and made from Australian grain (none of that foreign BSE infected rubbish here) with no added sugar, salt, preservatives or colouring.

(Just to save you the trouble of Googling it 'Quick' oats mean that they are ground finer so that they have a larger surface area)

My recipe for success is one cup of cold water, one third of a cup of oats (I like it slightly runny - you can blame Butlins for that). 2:22mins in the microwave, stir and allow to settle (I bung a cup of coffee in the microwave while I do this), then add a blob of butter followed by a splash of milk.

Yum! had a bowl full this morning. You should try it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010243.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	8191   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010246.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	8192  
hatechocolate
New Member!
United Kingdom
hatechocolate is female 

21-01-2019, 11:58 AM

I have been on this course for preventing diabetes since May last year and just 2 more meetings to attend.
We have had 4 blood tests so far and I had dropped from 46 to 35.....or so I was told but had a blood test at the doctors 2 weeks ago and it was 48!!!
That is a massive difference and I am very concerned as everyone in my group are now in the healthy range but not sure if this is true.
I have a meeting on Wednesday and will discuss.
Doctor giving me another test in 3 months.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 11:56 AM

As a ‘newbie’ finding my way round this site I found this thread to which I can contribute as I too have been on the NHS Pre-diabetes programme, fortunately with a positive outcome.

In May 2017 I made 47 on the pre-diabetes scale and was advised I need to do something now as Type 2 diabetes can be prevented and even reversed with the right information and change of lifestyle.

Finding out all about food and how our bodies process and use it was quite an eye-opener, not that I had ever eaten a lot of junk food or that which was not good for me but far too much in quantity and also of ‘the wrong kind’.

Sugar added to my food I stopped, all cakes, biscuits, sausage rolls and pastries also were no longer part of my food intake. Intake of vegetables and fruit was increased and porridge for breakfast was for me a ‘must’.

What I also found were some apps. for mobile phones that scanned the barcodes on products and then gave a readout of how much salt, sugar and fat was contained. Apps. like ‘Food Scanner’ is free and along with another called ‘Sugar Smart’ also free I found a real help. These allowed me to learn how much sugar manufacturers are adding to our foods, mostly without us realising. A breakfast cereal for instance that I had eaten for years was suddenly off the menu as it contained 29 teaspoons of sugar but it was by name a healthy product! Fruit juices were the same, full of sugar. Another app. called ‘Smart Recipes’ helps those like myself who have no idea about cooking.

To cut a long story short, the next blood test showed a figure of 42, down from the original 47 plus I had also managed to lose weight. That is another thing I did not realise, just a half-hour walk each day with eating healthier food is probably all that’s needed to keep weight off. At the end of the programme my blood test figure was down to 38 and 10kg weight loss too. Also this had a positive effect on cholesterol levels which were back to as they should be. Losing some weight I felt healthier and also no more knee problems.

Finally though that important figure went up to 41 and I couldn’t understand why as all that had stopped was that I couldn’t walk quite as much during the last really cold winter, the cold affects my breathing after a heart attack ten years’ ago. That showed how important some exercise is along with changes to diet. Also I was advised that something like stress can affect blood sugar levels, something I was not aware of. A very good website for all things diabetic is shown below, in particular relating to stress this shows how this works in increasing blood sugar levels.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/stress-an...se-levels.html

I’ve been fortunate in putting off Type 2 diabetes by taking the medical advice given. Anyone advised of the NHS Pre-diabetes Programme should consider trying it, it’s totally free, very informative and I believe well worth trying.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2019, 04:49 PM

I couldn't agree more Baz. What's to lose? Nothing. You get lots of info from the program that you possibly never realised. But having said that, we all have to accept that will power plays a huge part and not just for the duration of the course but for life.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I couldn't agree more Baz. What's to lose? Nothing. You get lots of info from the program that you possibly never realised. But having said that, we all have to accept that will power plays a huge part and not just for the duration of the course but for life.
Yes, a lot of what is learned has to be a change of lifestyle which is why the word 'diet' is substituted by 'lifestyle'. This I found is not difficult after taking the first steps. Something I did find was what part sugar actually played in how our bodies work, now that was very useful. I happened to be on the internet, just researching about this after the initial pre-diabetic diagnosis, and found such a simple analogy regarding the amount of sugar which is not needed. This was to think of the body as a sugar bowl and what would happen if you kept putting more and more into it without using it – it would overflow and spill out. This is what happens with Type 2 diabetes, there is more sugar in our blood than the body can deal with. A lot of this is due to manufacturers adding more sugar than is needed to our food. Coincidentally this morning I started using a new fruit drink, one which I had checked out with the app. I described in my post. After scanning the bar code back came the result that it was in the 'green' reading being low in sugar, saturated fat and salt – a good choice. Learning about food in this way I found invaluable.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 12:49 AM

I am following this thread for my hubby.
Keep posting please.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top