Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 05:22 PM

Re: Would people drive safer without insurance?

Originally Posted by steven collier ->
thats a silly arguement...insurance in my opinion shouldnt be compulsory..if you know you are a careful driver you shouldnt need it...for instance ive been driving over 40 years and not one accident claim..the insurance companies must love me! I mean why should i subsidise all the other prats on the roads because thats what i'm effectively doing for my careful driving....a company rep can take risks and have multiple accidents but he/she doesnt care because company will pay for it
You never had a company car have you?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 05:27 PM

I know we moan about the cost of car insurance but when you have to make a claim it normally turns out to be bloody good value. People don't drive according to their insurance policy, they drive to their ability which can be good or bad. I have had eight accidents since 1981 but six of those were not my fault and the other two just silly scrapes and I wasn't driving to the local shop and back. I was extremely pleased I had insurance in all cases.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 05:29 PM

thats a silly arguement...insurance in my opinion shouldnt be compulsory..if you know you are a careful driver you shouldnt need it...for instance ive been driving over 40 years and not one accident claim..the insurance companies must love me! I mean why should i subsidise all the other prats on the roads because thats what i'm effectively doing for my careful driving....a company rep can take risks and have multiple accidents but he/she doesnt care because company will pay for it
Stop a minute and think. You are driving along very carefully with no insurance and somebody comes along and bumps into you. Both cars are right offs and both of you are injured requiring hospitalisation and a period of rehab/recovery. You are not insured but as insurance is not compulsory neither is the other driver. What happens next ????? If you sue - you find out the other driver has no money and anyway you can't prove who was at fault.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Stop a minute and think. You are driving along very carefully with no insurance and somebody comes along and bumps into you. Both cars are right offs and both of you are injured requiring hospitalisation and a period of rehab/recovery. You are not insured but as insurance is not compulsory neither is the other driver. What happens next ????? If you sue - you find out the other driver has no money and anyway you can't prove who was at fault.
I agree and to add to that, if your car is old and of little value, it doesn't take much to be considered beyond economical repair.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I know we moan about the cost of car insurance but when you have to make a claim it normally turns out to be bloody good value. People don't drive according to their insurance policy, they drive to their ability which can be good or bad. I have had eight accidents since 1981 but six of those were not my fault and the other two just silly scrapes and I wasn't driving to the local shop and back. I was extremely pleased I had insurance in all cases.
Very true I'm not a good driver never claimed to be, I think my tester felt sorry for me and let me get my licence, but I have so far never had an accident that was actually my fault, few near misses but people who have hit me have had some odd reasons. One thought I had gone, gone where we were in a long line of traffic ? another thought I was moving faster, it was a 30 zone I was doing 30 ! Another died at the wheel so can't blame him he was already dead before he hit me. But without their insurances I doubt very much I could have got money to repair or replace my cars.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 05:47 PM

Interestingly you can legally drive a car in the UK without insurance, however a rather onerous condition does apply.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/144

"144 Exceptions from requirement of third-party insurance or security.

(1)Section 143 of this Act does not apply to a vehicle owned by a person who has deposited and keeps deposited with the Accountant General of the [F1Senior Courts] the sum of [F2£500,000], at a time when the vehicle is being driven under the owner’s control."

The same link goes on to explain that councils, the police and NHS do not have to insure their vehicles.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2019, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
(1)Section 143 of this Act does not apply to a vehicle owned by a person who has deposited and keeps deposited with the Accountant General of the [F1Senior Courts] the sum of [F2£500,000], at a time when the vehicle is being driven under the owner’s control."
Seem a moot point really. What's £200 for a year's insurance if you have half a million in the bank?

Might as well have the insurance so someone else gets all the hassle when you need to make a claim.

Police/NHS vehicles will be covered by government contracts.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2019, 12:15 AM

ok so your insurance paid out...but i'd rather take the risk and not have it because there are no yobs where i live..i didnt vote in a law saying insurance should be compulsory..only a committee did that with vested interests comprising of judges and police

Well lucky you, if there are no yobs where you live.
But does that mean you never drive anywhere except just around where you live?

What happens if you are poddling along, minding your own business on holiday for example, or a day out, or visiting family etc, and some uninsured prat runs into you?

Or what if another normally 'careful driver' skids into you in bad weather and wrecked your car ey? They haven't all got to be boy racer types. In fact some older people are a nightmare dithering about on the road.

It doesn't matter one iota that you maybe a careful driver, in fact I had never had a claim either, but you being a good citizen gives you no control whatsoever over what other drivers may do - or even you yourself can still have a collision in bad winter weather perhaps.

So I think you saying maybe if we had no insurance people might driver better is nonsense.
Accidents happen!
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 01:10 PM

ok so your insurance paid out...but i'd rather take the risk and not have it because there are no yobs where i live..i didnt vote in a law saying insurance should be compulsory..only a committee did that with vested interests comprising of judges and police

I do try not to get personal on forums.
The above is the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long while.
No insurance means no road fund licence. Why shoud the legal motorists subsidise prats with no insurance?
I hope that you do take the risk of driving illegaly. dont forget to plan every journey to avoid all cameras and police.
I would quite happily report anyone driving without insurance.
TROLL.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top