Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 09:20 PM

Family Reunions

Have any of you ever had a big family reunion? I come from a big family and I always wanted to have one, but I could never get them all speaking at the same time. Someone was always angry at someone else. I can't understand that, I am ashamed that my siblings acted like that.

Now it is too late, there will never be a family reunion.......so won't you all share your stories with me......I would love to hear about your family reunions...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 09:52 PM

Re: Family Reunions

The only time we had family reunions were weddings or funerals. We are getting less & less as a family as the older ones die. Some lost touch with & others too far away abroad.
So only immediate family for me now.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 07:56 AM

Same here. It's usually for a milstone birthday otherwise it's weddings, funerals and Christenings.
Nice to see the immediate family at Christmas though.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 08:17 AM

I had a lovely reunion a couple of years ago, Blue, due to my interest in Genealogy.

As children my sister and I frequently stayed for holidays with my paternal grandfather - he lived at the seaside - so it was always a big adventure. His sister, Auntie Rosa, kept house for him. Her son lived nearby and he had daughters of similar ages so it seemed natural that we should meet and play together sometimes. As we grew older Granddad died, Auntie Rosa moved away, my little sister died - we all lost touch.

Then - on Ancestry.com - as I was researching my family tree - I noticed someone else was looking at the same information. Left a message in there for them - and was stunned when the reply came - it was from the younger of the two girls I had played with in childhood. She put me in touch with her brother (I had not known about him) and I agreed to meet with him in Leicester.

Set off a bit apprehensively - travelling to a strange town to meet someone I didn't know - but what a lovely day it turned out to be. From there we arranged a day out by the sea for all of us - himself, his two lovely sisters and me. We had a brilliant time visiting all the old haunts, doing things we did as children - eating candy floss, dinky donuts, cockles in vinegar and chips from a paper cone. We played the slot machines in the amusement arcades - built a huge sand castle - rode on donkeys - and generally behaved as we had as children! Mad or what. I arrived home tired but very happy.

I am glad to say we are all still in touch.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 08:39 AM

I live in Scotland because it is as far away from my family as I can get.
The thought of a family reunion fills me with nausea.

My mother is possibly the most unpleasant person I know her mother was equally unpleasant and my sister followed in their footsteps, my aunt is a religious nutcase, my father contacted me once in 55 years and thought I would be happy to hear from him.
I have a myriad of step brothers and sisters who I have never heard from, my mother was really into getting married and made a hobby of it, I believe 8 times but I could be mistaken and the figure maybe higher.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Wouldn't want to sort your probate out.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
I live in Scotland because it is as far away from my family as I can get.
The thought of a family reunion fills me with nausea.

My mother is possibly the most unpleasant person I know her mother was equally unpleasant and my sister followed in their footsteps, my aunt is a religious nutcase, my father contacted me once in 55 years and thought I would be happy to hear from him.
I have a myriad of step brothers and sisters who I have never heard from, my mother was really into getting married and made a hobby of it, I believe 8 times but I could be mistaken and the figure maybe higher.
Wowza you really picked the shortest family straw !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 09:18 AM

When my gran was alive we had several, she came from a family of ten and my grandad a family of 9 so they were enormous and lively. As their siblings died the get togethers got smaller and smaller. Us grand children sort of drifted apart and last time we were all together was for a funeral. I can't see it ever happening again.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 09:55 AM

We only meet up with our children and my sisters these days.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Have any of you ever had a big family reunion?
My family has never had a reunion of any kind, thank the gods. My father's side were a ghastly bunch so we stayed aloof from them. A reunion would be my worst nightmare, although I haven't seen any of my father's side for over 50 years so I wouldn't know how to get in touch even if I ever wanted to. No chance of THAT happening!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top